mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Drivetrain for big pedaller

I like to push the limits of myself and eventually my bike. I killed race face crankset (bent out of alignment), and the chain and all good gears were worn right down. All XT

I thought that crankset would be good for longer than it was, considering the cost.

So at the local bike shop I went with the shimano deore m590 crankset (9spd)(48/33/22) the deore m50 cogset (8 speed) and hg-91 chain(8 speed) thinking if I'm going to replace stuff I might as well save some money.

However if the performance is going to be that much suckier out of the box ill have to make some adjustments! How's big guys on this stuff? I'm 6'8 290 on a 24"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am 5'10 250 and ride SRAM X9 2x10 and never have had a problem with bending,breaking or wearing out to fast.

turtles make me hot
    I'm 6'4", 250. I ride XT cranks, 180mm long, XT ten speed cassette and X9 shifters and derailleur. The thing I worry about most is my freehub. I rebuild it annually.
    If you wreck that Deore crankset, I'll be pretty impressed.
    Get a Chris King bottom bracket. I've been on mine for a long time now. Longer than any other.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm amazed by some of the stuff us bigger guys destroy while others are perfectly fine.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    I'm amazed by some of the stuff us bigger guys destroy while others are perfectly fine.

It's probably all down to terrain and riding style. I for example (6'@246lbs) have only broken minor stuff (Cook Bros and Mavic cranks and some rims) and that's mostly due to design issues (cranks) and riding errors (rims). Apart from that, the terrain I'm riding in is fairly flat with barely any drops, classic CC stuff. So most of the time is spend Pedaling along seated.
    If you on the other hand ride in hilly or mountainous area, and try to do a lot of technical, droppy (north shore) stuff, your equipment will get a severe workout and fail much sooner.

Cheers
    Dan

OT: If the Shimano/Sram stuff is installed correctly, there is usually no reason for premature failure. Except if you ride very demanding terrain and shred! In this case, regular inspection (and replacement if necessary) of vital components is mandatory anyway (especially handlebars!).
    Last edited by huhue; 03-19-2013 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Maybe I should tone down my thirst for acceleration

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm 6'3" and currently 260 - down from 308 and had troulbe killing cranks. Stripped a couple sets. I ride petty aggresive stand alot and do some jumping. I have found succsess with FSA Gravity Moto X MegaExo cranks. They have been indestrucuble!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Stick with Shimano cranks and bottom brackets.

CRC has/had a great deal on the Shimano Saint crankset with bb. So far no issues with it. I have a RF Turbine on my fatbike, which sees a lot more torque than my mtnbike, and after a few hundred miles no issues. I would go with an XT cassette, or similar construction where the are as many cogs on one carrier as possible.

I like the KMC line of chains, just stay away from the SL versions (super light+clyde power=4 peice chain laying scattered about the trail). I went with CK ISO hubs and SS fh body, so far so good.

I did have a lot of bb issues, which have been fixed by the Shimano bb. I did run with a CK bb for a while, but couldn't ever get the slop out of the lateral motion. Make sure you face your bb shell also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by huhue View Post
    It's probably all down to terrain and riding style. I for example (6'@246lbs) have only broken minor stuff (Cook Bros and Mavic cranks and some rims) and that's mostly due to design issues (cranks) and riding errors (rims). Apart from that, the terrain I'm riding in is fairly flat with barely any drops, classic CC stuff. So most of the time is spend Pedaling along seated.
    If you on the other hand ride in hilly or mountainous area, and try to do a lot of technical, droppy (north shore) stuff, your equipment will get a severe workout and fail much sooner.
    Yeah I think a lot of it has to do with riding style IMO. The terrain definitely takes a toll but the repeated incorrect or brutual use of equipment probably takes a bigger toll on equipment. I’m a smaller clyde at 235 I guess…compared to some of you guys but I really don’t break equipment besides chains really and occasional bent seat rail. I still have hubs on my SS from 1998 that work great. Which makes me question the quality of parts now of days.

I total dig the carnage stories of destroying cranks and blowing up hubs though.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Stay away from the "cost effective" Shimano Alivio line...in less than a year I've worn down the cassette and broken a couple teeth on the chainrings (also broke a chain link last month).

I'm now looking for a cost effective upgrade for a 6'6" 265lbs all mountain terrain rider.

zjjason
    Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp XL

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The crankset seems to be equivalent to the LX line of years past. The cassette is alivio but for 8spd doesn't seem to be any other products available. The chain I got the XT equivalent. I'll update how long it takes me to destroy something