mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Dorado for heavy rider?

Hey guys i'm 6'4" ~250lbs with gear and such and am looking for a new downhill fork. I currently am on a 2010 888 evo but marzocchi doesn't have a spring that will support a rider over 230 ish so it feels a bit undersprung currently. I have already looked at the avalanche 38DD and while that would be the best option it is out of my price range (i have 450 for upgrades or 800 for a new fork). Because of this it seems that my options are pretty much air forks which brought me to the dorado or the boxxer WC (both used of course). I liked the idea of the dorado since it get's such glowing reviews but I wasn't sure how they would hold up under a heavier rider. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had a Dorado a few years ago. Worst fork for heavier riders. Flexy and unresponsive. Stick with the 888's or Fox 40's IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well I have 888's and they are not working out. The 40 is very appealing and they have a spring for my weight so they're a great option. What year of dorado did you have and what do you currently ride? Also what's your weight if you don't mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm about 230 pounds.
    It was the previous incarnation of Dorado, mid noughties era I can't remember exactly when.
    When they brought the 'New' version of it out I remember being suprised how much it looked just like the older versions. Can't say I checked the newer ones for any improvements in technology or whatnot as after my experience with them I would never use them.
    I put the heavier than standard spring in my Fox 40 and was happy from there.
    For my money I would go the Fox 40 because I know it works.

Ow!
    I am in the market for a DC. Yeah, I consistently read that the Dorado is too flexy. Fox/Box/DVO is too expensive. Boxxer's also seem flexy. So, 888 RC3 it is.

zhopv10, even with the all the adjustments (including the volume adjuster and coil pre-load), the hardest spring was not enough? I weigh about 235 now, and still losing, so I guess I better keep losing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    ya the hardest spring is really only rated out to like 220lbs per the website. If I crank the settings down i can probably get the right sag but then it would feel like garbage. I find it is always best to have the sag and such set with mostly the spring and fine tune with the adjustments so i'm looking for a fork that can do that. I'm thinking I may give the new boxxer a try actually pricepoint has them for sale for 899 and they have a 90 day return policy. I figure I can always return it if I don't like it and go with the 40 (which has springs for people out to like 250-260).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That being said if you're looking for a 888 i'm unloading mine cheap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Also consider something like the 888 or 40 but with an Avalanche cartridge. Get whatever heavy spring you need but you'll also have the custom damping for your weight and riding style. Both chassis will be good. Craig over at Avalanche actually prefers the 888 chassis over the 40.

By the way, if you really get desperate and can't find anything, Avalanche offers a dual-damper setup for the 888 for big guys. It's expensive but you get springs in both legs and dampers in both.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9