Rollin' on 29s!

Does your seat creep down?

Does anybody else have problems with their seat post height creeping lower during a ride? I've got a quick release seat post binder, and a Bontrager Sport seat post. I have the quick release pretty tight, quite tight in fact, so that i wouldn't want it any tighter or it would be too hard to close.

Anyways, I've noticed after a while riding, the seat gets lower, maybe 1/2" to 1" lower. It can get annoying after a while, because my knees can start to feel cramped if I don't get a good leg extension on my pedal stroke.

My old comfort bike with seatpost suspension used to do this somewhat too. Anyone else have this problem? Is it just my 285lb arse is too much of a hammer bouncing on top of the seat? Any ideas on how to combat this? I've thought about adding something to the post that would create a bit more friction, like maybe some thin wrap like teflon tape, or some sort of goo or stickum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It happens to me all the time when i used a QR clamp. i switched over to a regular and I always have a toolkit that has allen wrench's in it. Ever since I don't have a problem. I'm aound 300 and I just don't think a QR will clamp down hard enough.

Double-metric mtb man
    Also depends on the QR. I found the Bontrager (stocker) on my ride didn't like to stay set and needed an allen key to adjust. I've had no issues since going to a Hope QR.

Granted, I'm a little lighter (230's).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    maybe try a different seat post clamp.
    I've had that problem with a couple of different clamps (usually OEM stuff, except for that darn Hershey clamp, eye candy, but I couldn't get the post to stop creepin').
    I like salsa clamps, qr or hex, both work fine for me (topped out at 240#).
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

29 some of the time...
    My hard tail and road bike both slipped posts. The road bike still does since it has an integrated binder. I ended up buying a Surly Constrictor seat post binder and it put an end to my problems. Most of the stock collars don't seem to hold well to clyde weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Rollin' on 29s!
    Cool, well glad to know I'm not alone, (phew!), and a new clamp will fix it. Any other recs on clamps other than Salsa and Surly? Also, any recs on sources to order from?

Rollin' on 29s!
    OK, well, I just ordered a salsa clamp, (32mm) and a Surly constrictor (31.8mm). My tube measured approximatelt 32mm best I could determine (dang battery died in my digital calipers!), so one of these should work.

Since I'm impatient, I got next day shipping, so I'll post feedback soon on how they work.

Captain Underpants
    Yeah, I had it happen on a steel frame that I had. Switched to a Surly constrictor, problem solved. they just don't slip. Ever.

Hope makes a great QR, never had one slip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I had the same problem. Switched to a no brand clamp that required a hex key and that worked.

The QR sounds interesting. I might have to try that.

Rollin' on 29s!
    Well I can report that both seat clamps, Salsa and Surly work great! Surly was a bit tight, and I liked the Salsa in blue, so I'm sticking with the Salsa clamp.

On the down side, I folded my front wheel today. :-( I hit the side of a banked berm at a bad angle with my front wheel. Those 29er wheels don't have the best lateral strength... boo! If I had hit it head on, I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem, but the glancing blow caused my wheel to fold, and me to go over. $100 down the tubes...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My experience was that I had to spend more the $100 to get wheels that lasted for an appreciable amount of time. And, I had to get handbuilt wheels. I think this is especially true for clydesdales.

Rollin' on 29s!
    Yeah, I just need to figure out what wheels to get. I don't mind spending a few hundred if they are going to be quality and won't need constant trueing.

But, I'm a total newb in wheels. I'm reading some of the posts and don't understand half of the terms and acronyms, not even sure what I need. New hubs, what kind, centerlock, solid axle, dt hubs dh swiss, arrrrghhhh my head is spinning!

Beer it does a body good!

Cure

A new clamp will proably stop the sliding but for about 5 bucks you can fix it and all the bikes you see on the trail. Stop at a good automotive parts supply and buy some valve grinding compound. Clean the grease of the post and inside the frame and put on the compound. Put the seat post back it and tighten. The compound has very fine grit in it and will cure your problem and the grease in it will keep your post from seizing in place.
    I never met a cyclist, that I could not learn from!

Big G
    Winner of the Gnome Fest Quattro Home brew contest

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepro
    Does anybody else have problems with their seat post height creeping lower during a ride? I've got a quick release seat post binder, and a Bontrager Sport seat post. I have the quick release pretty tight, quite tight in fact, so that i wouldn't want it any tighter or it would be too hard to close.
    I have to remove my seat to fit my bike in the back of my truck with a shell and knees are terribly sensitive to seat height. I have a bolt on stop so my seat always at the same height. The stop is actually a seat post bottle cage mount. My seat never slips, and I don't need to crank down on the QR.

Sorry for the muddy photo, it's all I can find at work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    As a quicky try, you might clean off the seatpost and the inside of the seat tube with degreaser. My seat was experiencing the gradual creeping downward. I ordered a new clamp but was going crazy nuts with the seat height changing during ride while waiting for the clamp to arrive. To try to slow the creep down, I cleaned with chain degreaser. Stopped the problem. Didn't need a new clamp in this case. But still have a nice new fangeldy Salsa that looks better anyway.

mtbr member
    Every bike I have had has done this. When I was 210, it happened. When I went up to 295, it happened (a lot faster). I am faster than ever at 230, and it still happens. The only cure has been a Salsa clamp. This happens with various frame, posts, lubes, and diameters. With QR or not, it doesn't matter. I would check out a Hope clamp because of the color selection, but I've stopped getting QR clamps anyway so it's not an issue.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepro
    (dang battery died in my digital calipers!), so one of these should work.
    Those little lines on the caliper are for....aww nevermind.

I've had this issue of slipping posts before, but it was always with a QR. I'm around 300# but even the stock Redline clamp holds the post in just fine for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    On my steel Gunnar, I had this problem. I finally solved it with a Surly seatpost clamp, the thing is beefy.

Rollin' on 29s!
    LOL, I do know how to use a vernier scale, but these cheapies don't have one, so I did teh best I can.

I gotta say I love the slasa clamp. Rock solid, and looks cool in anodized blue. That Surly clamp is beefy as heck too. I don't think I'll ever go back to quick release, as this is just as quick, since I always have an allen wrench, and works so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by LateApex31
    Those little lines on the caliper are for....aww nevermind.

I've had this issue of slipping posts before, but it was always with a QR. I'm around 300# but even the stock Redline clamp holds the post in just fine for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I had a seatpost creep problem on a recently built bike. The seatpost that came with the bike measures 30.0mm in diameter, but I measured the seat tube I.D. at 30.2mm. I could not get the seat post to stay put no matter how tight I made the QR seat clamp. I ended up replacing the original seatpost with one with more setback. The new seatpost's diameter is only 27.2mm, so I used a 27.2mm -> 30.2mm shim. That extra 0.2mm in diameter made all the difference. I'm using the same seatpost clamp and it's held the seatpost in place over several rides without any slippage at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    As a quicky try, you might clean off the seatpost and the inside of the seat tube with degreaser. My seat was experiencing the gradual creeping downward. I ordered a new clamp but was going crazy nuts with the seat height changing during ride while waiting for the clamp to arrive. To try to slow the creep down, I cleaned with chain degreaser. Stopped the problem.
    Degreasing your post and seat tube is probably a good idea for carbon fiber posts, but not for metal posts. You risk getting the seatpost severely stuck due to the metals bonding together. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I ‘ve had this problem with many bikes and the simplest solution I have found is to use light grease to keep the post and seat tube from corroding or seizing and sprinkle a little powder chalk on the post before inserting . The chalk stops the slipping and the grease stops the creaking and or corroding that can sometime appear if all the grease is removed and just chalk is used.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Another very simple way to reduce seatpost slippage: Unscrew the bolt from your seatpost clamp and grease it up real good. Then, screw it back in. If you don't keep that bolt greased, chances are all that torque you're putting into it is just turning into friction on the threads, not constriction on the seatpost.

mtbr member
    One more suggestion: TACX carbon fiber assembly compound on the seatpost.

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?la...bly%20compound

My buddy (a great local wrench) put some on for me, and now the post holds just fine.