mtbr member

Does 10mm thru bolt matter on a hardtail?

Hey guys. I'm going to foray into wheel building and I have basically all the information i need except this. I run a thru bolt on my carbon 29er but because I added it at the same time as a wheel set it felt vastlydifferent, but I'm not sure if the thru bolt had strung to do with it. I'm building up an on-one 45650b and would love to put together a super budget wheel set but I can't find any budget hubs that come, or are convertible to 10mm thru bolt. I'm curious if I should just stop nit picking and grab some xt hubs and call it a day.

Note: I'm 210#

mtbr member
    I've never road a 10mm rear but I've never had issues with standard QR. My ss is a bolt on rear...honestly, I can't tell a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Yeah its way too hard to find a budget 10mm. Everything I can find is upwards of $200

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know that the difference is that huge.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Ow!
    So much of that depends on the frame quality/flex and the hub quality. I feel a difference between rear QR and rear thru-bolt or bolt on, but I feel more of a difference between hubs and frames. I doubt it is worth agonizing over since you have decided to a budget build. XT always a good choice. Of course Hadley would be better (especially with a thru-bolt).

If I have a choice, I always go thru-bolt or bolt on. My favorite 135mm is thru-bolt using the Hadley bolt. Easy and very secure. Also, I have an On-one 456c and 456s, and they both benefit from a stout hub with some bolt system.

mtbr member
    Dilemma!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    A thru-bolt or bolt on is way stiffer then a rear QR.
    There are lots of factors like Clydecrash pointed but other factors I think which are important also are how rough of trails you ride and if you hit the jumps or drops.
    How heavy are you are is important also.
    For regular XC riding I doubt it really makes a big difference but once you get use to a stiffer rear I would not go back to a QR.

I ride Chris king with fun bolts and don't regret it.
    However, like you have said it is not a cheap option.

mtbr member
    Yeah that's the issue. I'm 210 lbs and 6'3" and I was an aggressive skater my whole childhood. I don't take giant YouTube worthy jumps all the time but I sure don't go easy on my bikes either. Lots of roots and sketchy downs where I ride so I fear I will have to just wait and spend the $200-$250

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    I ride Chris king with fun bolts and don't regret it.
    However, like you have said it is not a cheap option.
    I do too...can't tell a difference between that and my QR Hope rear. I'm 260 and ride root and rock infested trails. Both systems work as well as the other for me.

Ow!
    I always spend the $$ on a good hub so that it will likely last through many, many wheel builds. Expensive in the short term, but much less expensive in the long term based on reliability and longevity (and convertibility).

As I say many times, rear Hadley is the best bang for the buck. Strong, reliable, convertible. The front hub quality is not that important, but it is nice to have the front convertible too.

And, I have bought all my hubs either on sale or on ebay. Worked out most of the time (but my recent Hadley rear through ebay may be a fail--a chance to take with used or abused).

mtbr member

Re: Does 10mm thru bolt matter on a hardtail?

Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    I always spend the $$ on a good hub so that it will likely last through many, many wheel builds. Expensive in the short term, but much less expensive in the long term based on reliability and longevity (and convertibility).

As I say many times, rear Hadley is the best bang for the buck. Strong, reliable, convertible. The front hub quality is not that important, but it is nice to have the front convertible too.

And, I have bought all my hubs either on sale or on ebay. Worked out most of the time (but my recent Hadley rear through ebay may be a fail--a chance to take with used or abused).
    The front I'll be using is a convertible Stan's 3.30 left over from an old set. I'm thinking I may go with a hope hub for the back because I can't seem to find a Hadley for less than $300 and that's just out there.

mtbr member

Re: Does 10mm thru bolt matter on a hardtail?

DT Swiss hubs are pretty excellent, and easily convertible. Low engagement but the ratchet system has a solid feel to the way it engages that I've only felt in one set of shimano hubs. It is really easy to upgrade and service the ratchet mechanism itself - tool free actually. The 350 is not cheap but not as expensive as many others.

I strongly prefer bolt on/through bolt stuff, just because I've felt flex/movement "down there" at very bad times with standard qrs. I also ride a steel bike with track ends so I might be high risk.
    Last edited by AlexCuse; 07-19-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a 135mm x 12mm axle with funn bolts on a king hub mounted on a Maverick ML-7 full suspension and you can feel the difference in stiffness, on a hardtail maybe will be difficult to tell unless the frame is very flexy..

mtbr member
    Turns out bikehubstore.com mtb270 hub has a thru bolt conversion! Ordered!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I've never road a 10mm rear but I've never had issues with standard QR. My ss is a bolt on rear...honestly, I can't tell a difference.
    With QR, I'd had that disc rubbing sound whenever I leaned hard to corner. With Funbolts, no more rubbing. 220 lb on steel frame (Kona Unit)
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    With QR, I'd had that disc rubbing sound whenever I leaned hard to corner. With Funbolts, no more rubbing. 220 lb on steel frame (Kona Unit)
    220lbs on a hardtail and have not noticed any problems, even on reasonably rough downhills.

mtbr member
    Novatec's 8 series hubs have some kind of 4in1 conversion system... my D882 rear hub cost about 80 bucks. it came directly with a 135x10mm qr, it is hollow cromoly not alloy like DT or hope, around 110g for the skewer only but rock solid. with my old mavic skewers the rear wheel would slip in the carbon dropout.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    Good example 4nbstd!!
    Completely agree!!!
    I don't have that issue anymore and totally forgot.....
    I use to have Kona Dawg primo at one time and brake rub always drove me crazy.
    I would adjust and it was perfect and then I would take a spin and the noise was there again or half way through a ride.
    Now all my bikes have fun bolts and no problems.
    I use to be 245lbs riding the roots and rocks.

mtbr member
    I fortunately the rear hub I got from bikehubstore.com has a convertible axle according top the email reply I received, then the guy stopped replying to me and I can't find a phone number. Just waiting to hear back from them and I'll have my 10mm thru on a hub I got for under $100. "Budget" status restored.

mtbr member
    Update: just got off the phone with them. No 10mm thru but u did get a 12x135 thru bolt conversion for $10 from them and just ordered the atomlab 12mm to 10mm reducer from treefort bikes. Wheelset is going to be velocity p35s on stan's 3.30 front and bikehubstore.com mtb270 rear with probably dt comp or rev spokes. Theyll be hefty but wwiiddeee