Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Do you HAVE to put grease on your New Seatpost...?

Hello ! Everyone.

I just bought a new El Norte Expert seatpost along w/ Hope's Bolt Seat Clamp because my stock seatpost kept on slipping. I heard that you have to add some grease so the post wouldn't break or something like that. I would like to know if this is true, Do I really need to add some grease to the seatpost..? cause I currently don't have any and don't feel like buying some unless its a must..

Thanks,
    Newbie.
    Last edited by Hardtail Rider; 02-22-2009 at 04:27 PM.
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

Making fat cool since '71
    Yes...unless you never, *EVER* want to move it...ever (there's only a tiny bit of hyperbole there).

Brock...

PS: any LBS worth a poop will slide you a smear of grease gratis.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Former Bike Wrench
    If you plan on working on your own bike...buy some grease. It doesn't have to come from a bike shop, get some multi-purpose grease (I like marine grade for wet conditions) from an auto parts store if you wish...its usually cheaper

mtbr member
    I would never use geese. Their legs are too short, they make funny noises when you sit on them and they clog up airplane engines. Geese suck.
    Visit Ted's Broken Bike and Refurbished Unicycle Emporium

turtles make me hot
    No, no, Paul R Nelson. He said gReese. Not geese...

BTW, do you endorse this message?
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    I think I paid about 4 bucks for a tub of grease. Drink 7-11 coffee for a few days and you'll be able to afford some grease.
    I like turtles

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...I'll say that back in the day (90's) i didn't use any on a new seatpost (replacing one i bent).. and I had no problem... but i'm sure there was residual in the seat tube
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Ooooh. Grease......I get it now. Who's the silly goose now, eh?!

I do endorse this message. And remember, Ron Kind is a kid toucher.
    Visit Ted's Broken Bike and Refurbished Unicycle Emporium

mtbr member
    YES! Grease should always be used where metal touches metal. If your seatpost is slipping, it's the clamp you should be tightening or upgrading.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    YES! Grease should always be used where metal touches metal. If your seatpost is slipping, it's the clamp you should be tightening or upgrading.
    i've been told that grease on the seatpost isn't necessary if you remove the seat after every ride...truth?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87
    i've been told that grease on the seatpost isn't necessary if you remove the seat after every ride...truth?
    that is weird , who told you that?

You should grease your seatpost, but of course, you don't HAVE to if you don't want to.

Greasing the post will prevent creak, rust, corrossion, getting stuck etc etc. But do what you wanna do be what you wanna be yeah.

Like I said before anywhere in life where metal contacts metal should have some sort of lubrication, cars, motorbikes, mountain bikes etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I use an expensive seat post (Thomson Masterpiece). In addition to all the normal reasons to grease it, I also want to prevent it from getting all scratched if possible!
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

mtbr member
    thank you for the responses & sorry about the typo

anyway, another newbie question, How often you should grease your seatpost....

also, does anyone grease the Handlebar...?
    Last edited by Hardtail Rider; 03-02-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    ... Drink 7-11 coffee for a few days and you'll be able to afford some grease.
    I've never thought of that as a way to raise funds!
    Is it just their coffee that makes you sh!t $$, or do other 7-11 products turn you into a human slot machine as well?
    I have a Circle-K just down the street, any idea if their coffee will have me pissin pennies?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    I've never greased a handle bar, and rarely grease the seatpost- On on bike I have a dropper post, that is greasedon account of on taking it out every 5 or 6 rides to grease up the workings of the post. On my XC bike with a normal post, I havent ever greased it, On the steeper stuff I lower it, raise it again afterwards- remove it when washing the bike and wipe it down to refit. Grease IMO is only there to stop it seizing up- if you like me move it often enough it wont seize.... But saying that for what it costs to do so, it aint gonna do any harm....

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    that is weird , who told you that?

You should grease your seatpost, but of course, you don't HAVE to if you don't want to.

Greasing the post will prevent creak, rust, corrossion, getting stuck etc etc. But do what you wanna do be what you wanna be yeah.

Like I said before anywhere in life where metal contacts metal should have some sort of lubrication, cars, motorbikes, mountain bikes etc.
    who told me that?
    the guy at the bike shop who sold me my seat...and also, an old teacher who also works at a bike shop

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    I've never thought of that as a way to raise funds!
    Is it just their coffee that makes you sh!t $$, or do other 7-11 products turn you into a human slot machine as well?
    I have a Circle-K just down the street, any idea if their coffee will have me pissin pennies?
    Yeah, I don't know... I don't eat their food. I was just pointing out that if you drank Starbucks, you could save enough for some grease by cuttin' back a little. The possibilities are endless. Walmart toilet paper instead of Charmin, Crystal Glacier instead of Poland Spring...
    I like turtles

~Disc~Golf~
    haha...I know...just havin' some fun...
    BTW - I'm pretty much cut back on the types of stuff you mentioned...
    everything else goes to my bike and my drug/alcohol habit

~Disc~Golf~
    *DBL post

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    One afternoon (or week) spent cussing a stuck seat post out of a frame and you will grease your post without a second thought. Especially if one is metal and one is aluminum.

Former Bike Wrench
    Or paying a bike shop hourly to remove a seized post...I removed quite a few in my bike shop days

Figure $48 an hour and probably a 1-2 hours of actual labor time (we didn't charge for the day or two the bike was left upside down with penetrating oil in the seat tube). Not to mention the price of a new seatpost as they rarely survive.

Don't be cheap people, if its metal to metal use grease, anti-seize, or assembly paste.

Making fat cool since '71
    You shouldn't charge for the time you are letting penetrating junk do it's thing. That would be a horrible shop to go to if they did. I've had them/seen them take some time and effort though that's for sure. The "old man" wrench (one of those "clever" been around/building/fixing bikes for 50 years types) at the shop I worked at, worked away for over an hour, steady, on one...trying to save the post for the guy...didn't workout. 10 minutes with a hacksaw and a hammer/drift combo and it was out. Of course, they had to get a new post after that little session though. We didn't charge for the tinker time since they manned up and bought a new post.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    You shouldn't charge for the time you are letting penetrating junk do it's thing. That would be a horrible shop to go to if they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    we didn't charge for the day or two the bike was left upside down with penetrating oil in the seat tube
    ???

Thread Killer
    while we're on the topic, would phil's grease work well for a seatpost?

Former Bike Wrench
    Yes, especially in wet conditions. It might actually keep water from getting down your seat tube and into the BB shell.

Its basically my grease of choice (though I use a carbon seatpost right now so I use a different "paste" for that).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast