mtbr member
    May 2006

do i need heavy duty bike?

im 6ft and weight fluctuates between 220 and 235 lbs, last time i was shopping around for a mtb i weighed 190 and decided to go with the cdale rush (hated to sell it), this time around i had it down to 3 bikes- ibex ignition pro, giant trance x3, and giant anthem x3, then i realized durability could be an issue since i weigh more now and wanted to see what you guys think about my 3 choices for someone my size.

thanks...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i should add that i dont do any drops and im pretty light on my bikes, just normal trail riding.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You're kind of on the boney side of things for a Clyde

The Trance X3 and Anthem X3 will hold up just fine. If the fork is a coil fork, you might want to look into a firmer spring. If it's an air sprung fork, you're good to go.

I have no hands on experience with the IBEX.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    haha thanks. yeah, never considered myself a clyde but it seems the board consensus is anything over 200 lbs, so i thought id ask.

mtbr member
    board consensus is for 5'9 racers. 200 is about as light as I'll ever get...currently 260 and riding a much lower end bike than what you're looking at and having no problems with the frame. components may need to be just a bit beefier for you but nothing over the top, and any of those bikes will work just fine for you.