Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

do i have to get a 29r?

ok im a newbe and i love this clydsdale forum im 6'3 230lbs and im looking for a bike at the 1000.00 mark. butt at that range im kinda thinking that i can get better stuff on a 26 inch bike. i can get a fuji 29r for 1000.00 but fuji isnt really known for offroad bikes and nobody ive talked to knows them either. or i can get a scott scale 60 for 1000.00 and it comes with hydrolic disc brakes and decent tranny stuff. plus it light. ive been borowing my friends bikes as im new to this but now im hooked and must own my own, but im torn on what i should buy. the 2 bikes in this range that i really like the scott i looked at today.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    You can get a tiny wheeled bike if you want. Just don't ride a 29er after you buy it.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

Former Bike Wrench
    The Fuji is a good 29er, look at the reviews on MTBR...that said, get what you want. You don't have to get a 29er...even though they're better

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I'm 6'2" and I ride a 29er.

I like it and see no reason for me to ever go back to a 26er. The smaller bikes are just too cramped for me and I have to do some funky things to get the right fit.

Nevertheless, you should get the bike that you feel works best for you.

BWG
    mtbr member
    Have you ever noticed that the heavier load a dumptruck has to carry the larger the diameter of the wheels? Why, because they roll over stuff better. We weigh more so bigger wheels make sense. Besides, tall dudes on 26ers with 3-foot seatposts and 1-foot stems look like dorks.
    Last edited by BWG; 06-06-2009 at 10:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i just posted in another thread butt i just test rode a diamondback overdrive pro in a 22 inch frame its on sale for 920.00 im thinking strongly about buying that tank come monday

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    i just posted in another thread butt i just test rode a diamondback overdrive pro in a 22 inch frame its on sale for 920.00 im thinking strongly about buying that tank come monday
    You might want to check Dick's sports stores for some Diamondback stuff.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    You might want to check Dick's sports stores for some Diamondback stuff.
    is the diamondback stuff any good? they were a good bmx bike back in the 80's

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    After you mentioned the Overdrive Pro, I remembered I heard a couple of months back ***** was closing out some reg. Overdrives. Don't know about the Pro though. Also a store in Oregon I think called G.I. Joe's. I don't have firsthand info about the quality. You might want to use the mtbr search at the top of the page to get some info.---zarr
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Former Bike Wrench
    GI Joes is defunct...kaput...gone

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    how about some good online dealers for bikes?

BWG
    mtbr member
    I learned this the HARD WAY! If you buy proven name brand bike frames and components at sale prices or used... you can get most if not all of your money back if you decide to sell them later (in good shape). They'll also last a lot longer. If you keep riding you will want or need to go to a better bike. I ended up wearing out and breaking and replacing almost every component on my first bike ($500). If I would have spent a little more in the beginning it would have been cheaper in the long run, and I would have had a better bike.

$1000 is a good place to start.
    Last edited by BWG; 06-07-2009 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm about 6'2" and bought a Cannondale 29er 4. Not to throw another wrench in the works for you but I really like it. It retails for about 1100, but everywhere I've seen it sells for just under 1k.

BWG
    mtbr member
    Here's a few to look at in your price range. These are MSRP so do a search and you can get them for less. There's can be a big jump in the quality of the components from a brand's lowest priced model to the next one up - take a close look - it may be really worth it to spend just a little more money. Hope this helps.

1. The components alone on this bike are worth more than $1000 - and you can always switch them over to a different frame if you don't like this one or want to try full suspension later:
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_SL.htm

2. Jamis is generally considered a good deal - but this one has much lesser components than the Motobecane and is much heavier:
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...durango29.html

3. KHS is similar to Jamis - this one has a steel frame and mechanical disk brakes:
    http://www.khsbicycles.com/02_tucson_09.htm

4. Kona has a pretty big following:
    http://www.konaworld.com/09_kahuna_u.cfm

5. Cannondale (until recently) was the last big company that still made their bikes in the USA:
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/c...el-9FS294.html

6. The Fuji: http://www.fujibikes.com/Mountain/29er/Tahoe29Comp.aspx

7. Haro Mary XC - $1500 but still has mechanical disk brakes and is 30 lbs.:
    http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav5.php

8. Redline:http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/d660.html

9. Specialized: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=39225&eid=107

10. Gary Fisher - the man who started the whole 29er thing - he has one for $900 and one for $1200:
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mamba

11. Diamondback: http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn...rdrive-pro-09/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    man that motobecane has got some good stuff on it, thanks bwg 999.00 and free shipping not a bad deal.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Windsor's at Bikesdirect are the same bike as the Fuji 29ers (except the downtube). So if you can test ride a Fuji and like it...the Windsor Cliff 29er Pro is a SMOKING DEAL, X.9, Reba, Juicy 7's for under $1000

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i rode a fuji 29er at scheels yesterday and liked it alot right along with the diamondback the fuji was alot lighter and felt more agile that windsor frame does look pretty close to a fuji. thanks guys for throwing a monkey wrench in my operation!! LOL was probley gonna either buy a fuji or DB. on monday now im thinking im gonna be ordering a bike online. but man both rides are smokin deals.

Former Bike Wrench
    Here's the geo chart for the Windsor

Here's the geo chart for the Fuji 29er

See any similarities?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    how much assembley is involved on a new in the box bike? do i have to build the wheels press the headset bearings assemble the crankset stuff like that. or is it just minor assembly.

Former Bike Wrench
    The bikes from BD come in "dealer ready" condition. This means most of the bike is assembled but it will need final assembly and tuning. If your not familiar with this, most bike shops (the good ones at least) will do the build for about $65. Its worth it considering how much you save.

Keep in mind buying online comes with some risks...namely warranty and service. But considering how much you save, its a fair trade-off for many.

Good Luck in whatever choice you make

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG

2. Jamis is generally considered a good deal - but this one has much lesser components than the Motobecane and is much heavier:
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...durango29.html
    I just ordered a NOS 2008 Jamis Dakota 29er for $1100 through my Jamis LBS. Very well set up with Reba Race and XT components. Quite a step above the Durango for a couple hundred more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't agree with the bigger is better philosophy. While its true that most people your size do benefit from a 29er, its not that absolute. I ride both for different reasons. 29er have horrible bottom-bracket clearence. A 29er does not handle as well, most people say it feels like driving a school bus. I know people will argue this point because a better fitting bike can give the impression (or reality) of better handling. 29er's also don't seem to work so well with suspension. 29er wheels are not as strong, although, IMO they are strong enough, this is not an issue.

For advanced mountain biking, I don't think a 29er is the way to go. The clearence is the main issue for me. Some find it harder to turn over the cranks on a 29er, and you may prefer longer cranks which means learning to time your strides or you'll be scrapping your pedals off-road.

My 2 cents: test ride. Find a good shop and let them help you with the frame size. Most people, myself included, ride frames too small for them. That's why you get the 3-foot seatpost and 1-foot stem. Maybe you will prefer the fit of a 29er. I was amazed when I first got my Karate Monkey (yup, that's a cheap plug for a $1000 bike) and swore 29ers were the end-all, be-all for the next couple years until I bought a Stumpjumper.

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly29
    29er's also don't seem to work so well with suspension.

??? Please explain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    ??? Please explain.
    I've just heard bad things about full-suspension 29er's. Haven't heard of one with over 3 inches of rear travel that people actually like. Seems like more complaints about fs than rigid, although 29er enthusiasts are also likely to be rigid enthusiast (then single-speed enthusiasts, then the next fad enthusiasts).

I kinda feel like a 29er is good for many things, but blasting downhill on 6+ inches of travel isn't it. Maybe 1.5 inches on a cross-country setup.

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly29
    I've just heard bad things about full-suspension 29er's. Haven't heard of one with over 3 inches of rear travel that people actually like. Seems like more complaints about fs than rigid, although 29er enthusiasts are also likely to be rigid enthusiast (then single-speed enthusiasts, then the next fad enthusiasts).

I kinda feel like a 29er is good for many things, but blasting downhill on 6+ inches of travel isn't it. Maybe 1.5 inches on a cross-country setup.

Surly29, you should actually ride one. I've been riding them for three years and it's no "fad" for me.

I was never happy with any of my FS bikes UNTIL I got my RIP9 with 5" fork and 4.5" rear travel. Same goes for my RacerX 29er and previous Voodoo Canzo 29er. Read the overwhelmingly positive reviews on these bikes here on MTBR.

29ers aren't for everyone, but they definately work well for many big riders that choose them. And roscoe 1971 wasn't asking for recommendations on a DH bike. Although if he was Niner has that covered too with this:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast