mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Disc brake help... please

Alright, I am cross-posting this in the Brake forum, because I am after all it is a Brake question. If this is against the rules, then any moderator can delete the thread in either location. I just ask that you leave at least one.

Some background: I am a 6'3" 260 pound Clyde. I ride a Santa Cruz Heckler and am thinking of making the move to Disc. I generally ride XC. Nothing too major. I don't do huge downhills, I don't ride epics. Just local trails were I can get a 2-3 hour ride in. I do have a family and don't have the time to go ride all-day epics.

I am looking to spend about $200 on the brake kit itself and it will probably be coming from Ebay or Craigslist. Something used. I have seen mostly Avid and Hayes on Ebay. I have read all of the reviews here on all of the different brakeing systems. I am trying to find the right brake for me given my size and what I generally ride.

What would you all recommend? Is Hayes okay? I seem to get a lot of mixed reviews on them and the bad ones indicate that Avid is the way to go. I have Avid v-brakes and I really like those on my singlespeed.

I am looking for a hydro brake. With my size, should I be looking for a 8" rotor or would something smaller be okay for me?

I am really looking for any input I can find on this. I will be funding this with my fantasy football winnings and I will be buying some new wheels when My beloved Chris King classic/Mavic wheelset gets sold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    first off look at chainreactioncycles.com as the exchange rate is really in the USA favor right now. for about 230 shipped you can get a set of shimano XT brakes from them which are great brakes and will serve you just fine. they have very good modulation and power.

personally i plain don't like hayes brakes. they just don't seem to be up to todays standards (getting better though).

i'm 6'5" and 260 lbs w/o gear and i have no problem with 160mm rotors on my xc bike on my AM/FR bike i go 203 without a doubt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply. Would Avid Juicy Ultimates with 185mm rotors be a good choice?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The ultimates are a nice brake but they (like many, especcially lightweight brakes) have shown fading issues in tests. This was with longer descents, but with riders up to about 200 lbs. You said you weren't in for that kind of riding but still safety first. I would get a 8" (203mm) for the front. The weight difference is tiny.
    Juicy sevens are also at least as good if not better than the ultimates, just weigh more. I got a set f+R for 220, a take-off from a bike shop. If you buy the 7" set, just buy an 8" rotor and the appropriate adapter (postmount or IS) for your fork. The front should usually be bigger than the rear, since you have so much more braking power there. You would skid the rear a lot with the same size in back.
    Avid brakes are by far the easiest to install, so if you are doing it yourself I would recommend them.

You didn't say how tall you are, but one thing to remember is that you might need longer hoses, I did (I'm 6'5"). I swapped the rear hose to the front and bought a new hose to use in the back.
    Last edited by Tjaard; 01-18-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've owned Hayes HFX-Mag, HFX-Nine, Avid BB7, and Avid Juicy 5 and here is my take on all four
    -HFX-Mag...owned two sets with G1 calipers, both were the most reliable hydro brakes I've ever owned, never an issue, great power.
    -HFX-Nine...owned two sets with G2 calipers, one stuck piston, several lever issues. I was able to fix all issues and once fixed were reliable and strong.
    -Avid BB7 with Flak Jacket and SD7 levers...lots of power, little modulation, reliable
    -Avid Juicy 5...overall a good brake, great modulation, have needed to work on getting pistons to move more freely but otherwise reliable

I'm 220lbs and like 180 (or 185 for Avid) rotor up front and 160 in the rear

mtbr member

Avid Code 5

Im 290 lbs and going with the Avid code 5's with 185 rotor. They weigh a little more but have a four piston caliper for extra power. They might be worth checking out for you. I see last years models on ebay for some good deals.
    Live Large

mtbr member

Good deal on Ebay now

I use XTR with the dual action levers. Don't absolutely LOVE them, but they work well enough for my needs.

Anyway, Here are some Juicy 7's on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/08-Avid-Juicy-7-...3A1%7C294%3A50
    "Like dogs, bicycles are social catalysts that attract a superior category of people" ~ Chip Brown

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtymerider
    Im 290 lbs and going with the Avid code 5's with 185 rotor. They weigh a little more but have a four piston caliper for extra power. They might be worth checking out for you. I see last years models on ebay for some good deals.
    Thanks for pointing those out. Those seem pretty nice too. I will have a look at that.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    if you want to go cheaper... jenson has tektro hydro's for $30 a side... 185mm up front...

they have a good feel and plenty of power for my 300# 29er riding rear... but... they do have a long lever... about the same as my '95 diacomp canti levers (2.5 or maybe 3 finger)...

on my flat bar they worked great, high sweep bars again great... but on narrow risers i couldn't get them far enough in to be comfy with 1 finger (how I like em)

just an option... but i'm sure your better off going higher buck setup
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie