Thread: disc brake fade

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

disc brake fade

any need to be concerned about disc size as regards fade/overall stopping power with heavier riders?

Glad to Be Alive
    if you are running xc then don't worry about it

if you are doing lift access dh runs then you would want 8 inch rotors.....most fade occurs with beginning riders and using their brakes too much
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwolicki
    any need to be concerned about disc size as regards fade/overall stopping power with heavier riders?
    I fade like crazy with my XT hydros and 6" rotors, I am a wimp and like going way slow on DH's and weigh 300 pounds. I'm gonna be getting a set of Saint calipers with 8" rotors to go with the XT levers.

So depending on your weight, the 8" rotors might be nice.

Flaccid Member
    I weighed 250, run a set of K18's on 180mm rotors and ride the lifts at Mammoth on my bike, in season. No problems yet on their organic pads with fade. Maybe a little squealing, but thats about it.

The key is to either be standing hard on the brakes or completely off of them. Riding them lightly and continously (sp) is the worst for the brakes, you'll glaze the pads and they'll squeal like crazy.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

banned
    For the OP, how heavy are you and do you have any downhill sections and how long are they?

Double-metric mtb man
    Fade will depend on the rider and the trail.

I (6', 235lb + gear) went to an 8" front as I have some long downward pointed stuff that you need to be on the brakes a lot to keep the speed reasonable (sub 30mph). The joys of riding in river and creek valleys is that there is a lot of up and down riding and lots of trees.On one particular area especially, if you don't keeep the speed down, the waterbars and big roots will throw you hard at some point. I ended up getting into fade when I started riding there more, so I upgraded.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Get a bigger disk in the front.
    It's a good practice I think enyone should apply anyway - look at motorcycles and you'll see that usually they have double disks in the front and one in the rear.

When you stop, most of your weight is moving to the front and there is less traction at the rear wheel so whatever you put there is good enough.

If you are a heavy guy, a bigger disk in the front will give you more stopping power and help balancing the modulation between the front and rear brakes.

That said - I had 4 pistons brakes with 170/160 mm setup and I managed to toast those real good on a steep downhill and being as fat as I am.

Bottom line - if you are haevy you need more stopping power and the front is where you need to apply it.