mtbr member

Dirt jump bike/components for a 290 pounder?

I want to buy a dirt jump bike for a series of dirt jump clinics I'm taking with my brother.

I currently weigh about 300 and hope to be around 290 by the time the first clinic starts in November. So I am needing a bike. I can get Atom Lab complete bikes for a decent price so I was considering their Trail Pimp and General Issue complete bikes.

http://www.atomlab.com/bikes.html

I am thinking that the Trail Pimp is probably the better option of the two since it comes with the RST Space fork which is Coil/Air instead of the General Issue which comes with the RST Launch which is all Coil. I could just get the General Issue and toss a rigid fork on it as well, which I think would work out pretty well.

Or are there any other bikes that would better fit the bill that I can try to find used, I am trying not to spend over 800 bucks or so on this bike since it will be getting very limited use. I'm 6'2" so a bike that comes in a relatively larger size is preferable.

Also what is the best fork for the dirt jumping clyde?

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mountain_biker
    I want to buy a dirt jump bike for a series of dirt jump clinics I'm taking with my brother.

I currently weigh about 300 and hope to be around 290 by the time the first clinic starts in November. So I am needing a bike. I can get Atom Lab complete bikes for a decent price so I was considering their Trail Pimp and General Issue complete bikes.

http://www.atomlab.com/bikes.html

I am thinking that the Trail Pimp is probably the better option of the two since it comes with the RST Space fork which is Coil/Air instead of the General Issue which comes with the RST Launch which is all Coil. I could just get the General Issue and toss a rigid fork on it as well, which I think would work out pretty well.

Or are there any other bikes that would better fit the bill that I can try to find used, I am trying not to spend over 800 bucks or so on this bike since it will be getting very limited use. I'm 6'2" so a bike that comes in a relatively larger size is preferable.

Also what is the best fork for the dirt jumping clyde?

I ran a Pike UTurn on my Jackal....

Nice part about the Pike Race U-turn is that once I swapped in the X-Firm spring, I could crank it down to 90MM for jumping/park use.
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Found a used Cannondale Chase with a Sherman Flick fork for a decent price. I'll try it out and let everyone know how it works out.