mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Difficulty selling clyde ridden bikes

I'm just wondering if any of you fellow clydes have ever had a hard time selling your old bikes? After not riding for over 10 years because I kept breaking things and couldn't afford to fix it, I bought a new GF 29er XC bike about a year and half ago. It was a great bike for getting back into shape, but I have outgrown a XC bike and just splurged on a new clyde worthy Niner WFO. Now I NEED to sell the GF (and a 26" Stumpy) to help with the cost of the new bike and when dudes show up to look at it, even though they're good sized themselves, they look at me (6'5" 330) and immediately don't want it and I think they're both priced pretty fairly. I'm kinda tripping because I don't need 3 bikes, 2 of which I don't ride anymore. And I had to spend money on the old bikes to get them ready for sale. Any suggestions? Stories? Words of support? Ebay?

Underskilled
    WFO is an ultimate clyde bike for me, I even race it on road and win most climbing challenges!

As for selling your old bike, would you buy a car off a boy racer?

Why - because you know the car has taken a lot of wear and tear.

Same reason I would not sell your bike face to face.

Either get a friend to sell it for a cut, or eBay.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    I agree, I wouldn't buy that bike from you or me knowing how much we weigh and how much stress was put on bikes. You're going to have to price them right or lose a ton of weight.
    Good luck and enjoy the WFO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, I finally sold the 29er. And I sold it myself. I just have never thought about how hard it would be to sell a used bike that was ridden by my big clyde ass. I've bought a used XL framed bike before but although the dude was tall, he was skinny. I did have to lower the price to like half of what I paid for it a year and a half ago. Thought it was funny reading other ads for XL framed bikes and everybody was either selling for their dad or brother, or they "barely rode it".

And I am enjoying my WFO! It's so nice to finally have something I feel really confident on and that is so stiff. My only complaint about it, which is why I like having a 26er too, is that the XL frame is not exactly something you can just huck around. I mean it's a big ass bike. I guess you give up a little nimbleness for something solid, at least with a 29er.

Btw Cave Giant, if you see this, you really think the WFO climbs well? I have super granny gears on it and it does climb pretty good, but it's definitely not as easy as my 26er. I've only had it for a month now and am still getting used to it, but I'd be interested in hearing what you think about it. Perhaps better for another thread?

Underskilled
    For me the WFO is the best climber ever.

It is stiff enough to let me get the power down, has amazing traction (can't stress this point enough), and no pedal squat.

Sure it weighs a ton compared to other bikes, but in proportion to my weight is weighs the same as my wife's road bike.

The key thing is to get the suspension dialed. When it came from factory it was embarrassingly bad. With correct sag set it would bottom over a curb and dive around corners.

I heavily modified the RP23, even had UKs 'push' do their job.
    It got a lot better and became a really fun bike.

Eventually chainreaction cycles fkd up on the procing of an ISX6 (they corrected the pricing next day, but I held them to the original, I love knowing basic law).

Bascially I got a brand new ISX6 for less than I sold my RP23 for.

Since then the jump was HUGE.
    As everything is externally adjustable (and manitou adjustable is massive, we are not talking fox change it by 5% either direction adjustments) I could set it up perfectly.

I ride DH, FR and yesterday was in a race where most were on cyclocross bikes. The ISX worked for all with no change of settings.

Even hammering a trail so hard a few weeks back I snapped 5 bolts on my dorado, ISX felt fine.

So to sum up my long ramble.

Manitou is clyde friendly as they have HUGE range of adjustments (this does also mean you need to know what you are doing as it is easy to make the shocks feel crap).

get the suspension dialled and prepare to be impressed how fast this bike can accelerate.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

29 some of the time...
    I have never had issue selling my clyde "abused" bikes/frames. But I also typically have purpose built them for my abuse. It is likely another story if I were riding a factory GF or Specialized. Honestly I can't say I would buy a used factory bike off a clyde either FWIW...
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah AL29er, the bike I just sold was the first bike I had bought in 10 years and I'd gone in with the intention of buying a hard tail. Hard tail didn't feel right and I just hopped on a fs xc GF. It was my first fs bike and as I didn't plan on buying it, I didn't really do any research on what it was a clyde really needs. Nor was the bike shop really all that honest about if it would work for me. It wasn't until I blew the hub out the second time that the guy at my lbs told me about this forum. Now, after riding quite a bit again and learning more about suspension set ups, I think my WFO and the 26er I'm about to build next month will be easy to sell. And by the way, I wouldn't buy a factory bike off a clyde either. Personally, I think there's something to be said about buying things new and having the warranty.

CaveGiant, that's cool to hear. That's cool to hear how much you like the WFO. I bought it without riding it first and so far I'm REALLY liking it. I'm running a Fox DHX air and it seems to be working really well. There's no pedal bob which was my biggest complaint with my GF and my 26" Stumpy even after sending the shock into Specialized for their S-tune tuning. I don't even use the ProPedal setting because I don't need to. Pretty amazing bike all and all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    @330lbs how much "hucking" can you really do?