Thread: Diet Tips

Captain Underpants

Diet Tips

OK, fellow clydes, time to share those diet tips. Often on our quest to drop the poundage we forget that what we put in or bodies eventually ends up on our a$$es. Anyone care to share any diet or food tips that have worked for them?

I'll start: Small meals, more frequent meals. I find that if I eat smaller meals that the pounds come off more easily.

Also, If I cut out alchohol it is much easier to drop weight.

Anyone else?

El Pollo Diablo
    Eat clean.
    I've been able to lose almost 50 lbs and keep it off
    (hovering around 205 now, perfect for me) mostly by cleaning up my diet...
    I went more hardcore than most, no cheat days for the first 25 lbs, protien rich diet, no sweets, low sugar, lots of veggies, lots of water...
    add biking/excercise as neccesary
    (in my case, riding, BJJ, Rugby, and Lifting, way too much fun!)

But eating clean, no fast food, no sweets, cut back on the brews, helps a ton.

Last thing, most have heard it before, but assuming you aren't overeating already, if you cut out 500 calories a day, you'll lost about a pound a week, with no other changes to lifestyle...
    toss in eating cleaner and some excercise, 2-3 lbs a week isn't hard at all
    (Dr. Snowmongoose doesn't reccomend losing more than 3 lbs a week tops, since you'll be more likely to be losing muscle with fat at that point)
    Note: Snowmongoose is in no way a doctor, merely a guy whowas able to lose weight while getting stronger at the same time. win win eh?

Bat Fastardson
    I have to make myself eat slowly so my brain has time to realize I have eaten. I still feel 'hungry' if I follow my instinct and inhale my food.

I have stopped drinking soda and have replaced it with lime Crystal Geyser fizzy water(low sodium of course).

I also eat less when I get enough sleep, but that's just not likely to happen much.
    All's well that ends.

anyone else smell that?
    put everything you eat in a tracking log. i use fitday.com. you'll be suprised how quickly the calories add up. you can also track and adjust your ratios if you are trying to keep a certain type of eating plan. i do a 40/30/30 protein/fat/carbs when i'm lifting. i also try to have a little protein with each 'meal'.

i'll eat a bit more carbs in the mix when i'm planning on riding a bunch.

smaller, more frequent meals allow the stomach to 'shrink' and get used to less food at a time. this will help you stay full without eating excess.

drink plenty of water.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The thing is, healthy eating is not rocket science, most people looking for a "diet" are looking for the easy way, when in fact eating properly can usually be no fun at all.

I've dropped, and then gained back, weight, depends on how serious I am about doing it. It is amazing how easy it is to do, as long as we do everything we know we are supposed to do. Some simple guidelines:

- cut back on portions, and for most of us clydes, this is a BIG TIME cut back. You only need (on average) 2,000 calories for a healty-weight person to live with, more if you are active. Most meals at McDonald's will provide you with that daily intake. It is tough to do, I've found it is easy to wean the food back, I used to eat a large pizza by myself, now I can only eat about 4 or 5 slices (and even then that is too much).

- cut out wasted calories...that means junk food, and all pop (Sodas to you "muricans). Try to drink water as much as possible, it is the healthiest for you, and no calories. Average person needs about 2 litres of water a day, which very few actually get.

- ignore fad diets and all those health "plans". Atkins, low carb, high carb, soup diets, South beach...all are fads, and will change big time as time passes. The most healthy diet long term is to eat 50% of your calories from carbs, 30% from Protein, 20% fat (as per Canada's food guide) so don't be afraid of carbs...they just can't be your whole diet. Hell, look at the "atkins/low carb" offerings at places like Cracker Barrel, and try telling me with a straight face those are healthy-eating.

- One of the most important things that I do is give myself a "cheating day" where I can eat literally whatever the hell I want. Wings, pizza, chocolate, have pop, junk food, you name it. It is guilt-free, so I dont' feel bad about eating like crap for a day, and know the next day I'm back to it. I usually plan for it to be Saturday, but if I slip and eat junk on Thursday, that's cool too, I just forgo the junk on Saturday.

- the biggest thing is when you make an eating change, do not say you're going on a diet. That implies that it is short-term, once you're done your weight goal, you're going back to piggie-land. You want this to be a long-term lifestyle change, so that you can maintain your newer, healthier weight. When I decline donuts or junk food at work, they always say, "why, you on a diet?" I always answer no, I'm just trying to change my eating habits, and eat a bit healtier.

either way, good luck with any healty eating anyone tries. It can be really hard to do, as junk food tastes so damn good, but the results are definatly worth it. I'm still not to my goal yet, but working my way there slowly but surely...and I'm definatly damn healthier than I have been in a while.

Tim

Captain Underpants
    I do like an occasional cheat day, but no more than once every two weeks for me.

I hesitated to put the word "diet" in the title, as I am not a big believer in dieting to lose weight, but prefer healthy eating used in the context of an overall heath/fitness plan. So I guess I meant "the kinds of food one eats" and not " a plan of caloric restiction".

As far as how I eat, I follow somthing close to Paelo eating guidelines, such as they are. This means no processed carbs (breads, cereals) no dairy, lots of vegetables, leafy greens, and fruit, some protein, some fat. I never monitor fat intake, but make sure I get some (usually in the form of oil/vinegarette) at each meal.

I followed the Zone for a while, and will tell you that it works, but you have to measure your food. That was the killer for me. It is also difficult to adapt to, since you are eating what seems like less to begin with.