Long live the ASR-7

DH clyde destroying tires

Me: 6'3" 240lbs geared up

Bike: Yeti ASR-7
    Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil
    Fox 36 160mm
    Azonic Outlaw wheels
    Hans Dampf, High Roller II, Nevegal tires

I've run tubeless using Gorilla tape, Stan's tape/rim strips, split 20" tubes. Always using Stan's sealant. Tried tire pressures ranging 25-35psi.

I ride hard and fast on a lot of rocky downhill and I'm constantly wrecking tires. Tearing off knobs, cutting sidewalls and cutting the tread casing. I've got a stack of 6 tires I can't run tubeless anymore. It is only ever the rear tire that I have issues with.

I always end up throwing tubes in when I wreck a tire. Once that happens I'm always getting flats. Downhill tubes don't seem to matter. The Stan's has yet to save me either.

I'm looking for tire suggestions. Wire bead help me? I don't really feel like running 1500g super DH casing tires. I still get out and ride XC for fitness. I'm thinking of trying the Minion DHR II, but that is damned near 1300g for the tire alone.

I'm at whits end fighting this battle.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have had pretty good luck with the 2.4" Panaracer Fire FR in the conditions you describe. Gobs of traction front or rear and pretty stout without too much weight penalty. Pretty reasonably priced too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you are battering down rocky DH trails hard and fast, you need the tools to do that. XC rubber will not hack that sort of abuse, especially from hard rider. Either accept it or suck it up and get the heavy rubber for the job it is intended for.

beater

DH clyde destroying tires

My 29" EXO DHR2 was <900g, so clearly you're thinking of the DH casing. Is it really that heavy? I remember seeing the 29" DHFs in DH casing running 1,200ish. But if you're flatting, you're flatting. You need heavier casings.

Look at the Schwalbe Super Gravity tires- maybe the Magic Mary. The knobs are probably better supported than on the HD. I handled a SG HD and was impressed by the sidewall- it's burly. The SG tires run sub-1,000g, too, from what I remember.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Long live the ASR-7
    Haven't seen the Magic Mary available yet. I'm running a Big Betty 2.4 up front right now and have no complaints. I know I'm going to have to pay a weight penalty, but I'd like to keep it to the minimum.

Long live the ASR-7
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I have had pretty good luck with the 2.4" Panaracer Fire FR in the conditions you describe. Gobs of traction front or rear and pretty stout without too much weight penalty. Pretty reasonably priced too.
    Thanks, do you have a good online source for them?

mtbr member
    I only got a few days of riding out of Hans Dampfs. When there were rocks, high speed turns, and steep braking, the Hans knobs tore off for me. Big Betty experience was similar, tore off several knob on the first day.
    I'll see much longer life from Maxxis Minions and High Rollers. I wish there was a bit more volume to the Maxxis tires, but for the most part the knobs don't tear off under normal use.
    Best tire I've had as far as performance and durability for trail/xc/pedaling riding has been Continental Trail King 2.4 Protection. High volume casing, great traction in lots of conditions. Does great on smooth new school jump trails at the bike park. Does great on granite, slickrock, loose over hardpack, etc. Even does surprisingly well in really loose and dry conditions. It's a great tire for bigger riders/aggressive trail riders on longer travel bikes. It's a tire that usually I can wear out the tread before it fails.
    Rides well tubeless or tubed.
    However, if you're killing tires from normal use due to constant side wall slashes, a dual ply DH tire is the way to go. Eliminating constant pinch flats is usually just a matter of dialing in correct psi for the tire and terrain.
    At your size and riding style, I don't see how you're riding a range of PSI between 25-35. I'd be thinking more like 32-38 psi for the conditions you describe.

Long live the ASR-7
    Went to the LBS and picked up a Minion DHR II wire bead DH casing tire. 1280 grams on my scale. I'm going to lose it if this tire doesn't last more than a month.