mtbr member
    Mar 2011

DH Bike Frame Size...

Hey guys...I guess there is a specific thread for everyone on the internet. Stoked about that!

Well, I am 'the tall guy' in my town, but I am also the 'tall guy who rides as fast or faster than then my buddies,' so I like to believe I am a respected rider as well.

I've been a dedicated XC rider for the past 15 years and last summer experienced my first two days of lift-served riding. Had a great time but felt I was working my bike over harder than I should. Me: 6'6" 140+/- lbs. Not small.

I would like a DH bike and have a good chance to purchase a 2009 Intense Socom, size Large. Bike is in great shape and I want more than anything to know it would be a great bike for me.

Any of you guys near my height/weight ever have experience on a DH bike, size L? Or am I making a mistake even considering getting into it?

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    I will be riding a Large Kona Operator. i am 6'1" and weigh 260. i have tested out many med frames and just seem small to me. but I will say my added weight helps with the larger, heavier DH bikes. I did the same thing, tried gondola lift biking nd fell in love with it. Was using my all mountain bike. allthough it did will, I just wanted a bike made for it. I dont know if any of this helps, but its my personal opinion. good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    6'6" 140lbs? I would invest in a cheesburger before a bike! I think maybe you meant 240...and will respond based on that.
    I am 6'6" 270 and ride DH. I own an XL vp-free. It's is getting a little old, but still the best fit I have found. It's still though, I overshot a tabletop a few months ago and landed totally flat. I landed hard enough to hurt both of my ankles. I would never want to hit the ground harder than that and the bike took it fine.
    A couple of the guys I ride with have larges and every one of them has felt too small for me. Everyone has a different fit and comfort level. I definitely recommend trying out any large before you buy. Also keep in mind you can change things around some with different components like bars/stems/forks.
    My current pipe dream is the XL V-10 carbon (they haven't put out any XL big bikes since the vp-free)...but that is outta my price range at the moment.
    Big guys need bikes too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

big frames

I am also 6'-6" and there are not many frames out there that fit me. Turner made some XL Highline frames in 2008 with a 25 inch top tube. Frames can be set up as 180mm or 205mm. Bomber but heavy- my frame is probably 12.5 lbs.