mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Destroying Rotors/pads on rigid commuter bike

Hey Guys,

I have a buddy who keeps wearing out rotors, incredibly fast. After a couple months of on/off commuting, he will wear down the front rotor, so there are ridges where the spider attaches to the braking surface. He rides a commuter/hybrid style bike, with a rigid hybrid fork.

His brake pads also die really fast, which i suspect is because of the stock shimano resin pads.

The fact that he goes through rotors that fast as well, seems a bit off. This got me thinking about upping the rotor size in the front, from a 160mm to a 180mm, and then going to something like a metallic or sintered pad, which will hopefully last a little bit longer.

My question is, is there a danger to switching the front 160mm, to a 180mm?

i couldn't find any marking on the frame/fork saying that it was specifically for 160mm, but a search online said that these style forks are typically only rated for the smaller rotor size.

Is there anything else that i could pass on, that could potentially make his brake pads last longer?

mtbr member
    Shimano rotors designed for resin pads only will wear faster than "harder" rotors designed for metallic pads. Sintered Metallic pads will last longer but also wear rotors faster. For a good medium...semi-metallic pads work well. In addition increasing the rotor size will increase power which may prolong their life. Just make sure the fork is designed to handle the larger sized rotor (most are but a few are not).
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    He either needs to:
    Set his brakes up so they don't drag
    Bed the pads in properly
    Stop braking so much.

How far is he riding each day?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlyToast View Post
    After a couple months of on/off commuting, he will wear down the front rotor
    It's hard to imagine how that is possible unless there is something major wrong with the bike or the way he rides it. No rotor or pad is going to fix that. He needs to figure out what is wrong and fix it. Even under heavy use, disks last years!

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    It's hard to imagine how that is possible unless there is something major wrong with the bike or the way he rides it. No rotor or pad is going to fix that. He needs to figure out what is wrong and fix it. Even under heavy use, disks last years!
    Yeah this is my experience too-- rotors i got on my 1st disk brake'd bike, hayes rotors, are still in service on my SS. The awful brakes are long gone, and they've seen a half-dozen sets of sintered pads. I don't have any rotors that have worn perceptibly. I commute on my road bike, but it has 5k on it now and there's plenty of life on the original rubber pads, and it's seen many road rides and several centuries.

BW is right, cheap shimano brakes come with non-treated rotors that are only intended for organic pads, but i can't figure how your buddy could wear through any brakes commuting w/o killing the drivetrain first.