In the rear with the beer

Desert tire advice

Would anyone have a solid suggestion for what tires and pressures to run for XC riding in the Arizona desert? My weight runs between 210 and 220, and my riding varies between smooth desert cross country (McDowell) to sometimes gnarly south mountain (rocks/cactus) to T-100.
    Any general thoughts? i've finally realized all my past tire choices have all been bad and have been unfortunately driven by small guy advice....

Low speed, High Drag
    Hey BigDude, fellow AZ Clyde here. I'm weighing between 225 & 230 w/gear, and have had the best luck on my 6" 26" bike with a Specialized Resolution up front, and a Specialized Roll in the rear. I'm running a 2.3 in the front, and 2.2 in the rear.

I've been pretty happy with these everywhere I've ridden, and they are very predictable out here in the valley of the sun.

Post up over in the AZ forum, I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions. I use a Panaracer Rampage, and a Resolution on my 29er, too.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

I railed it like Kong
    Former AZ clyde here. 270 and my stomping ground was all SoMo. Maxxis HighRollers 2.3 for good rolling and Minions 2.3 if you want mad traction and not concerned with weight.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm 205 and like the vertical pro 2.3 in the dry stuff for more xc/ trail bike stuff. it rolls well and holds well on the desert dry stuff. I don't like it on wet roots but thats the only place it seems to suck.