mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Derailer / shifter / sprockets

I cant go one ride without having something go wrong with my drive train. weather its the derailer, shifter or a sprocket something gets out of whack........most noticeably when really pedaling hard up a hill.

What is the STRONGEST setup for a big guy?

mtbr member

Derailer / shifter / sprockets

I really like my current setup. Shimano Xt rear derailer, lx casstte and chain with deore shifters. Bullet proof shifting this season. The deore and lx cassettes are made out of steel, which I believe adds extra durability as well as weight.

Last season i ran stock SRAM 950 cassette with k 99 brand chain. Bad shifting and popping when I was torquing hard from day 1. Utter crap.

I think I'm going to be a Shimano guy from here on out.

Weigh 302 lbs in case that makes any difference.
    Not only is my short term memory horrible, but so is my short term memory.

Propaganda Lover
    Aug 2013
    +1 the steel cassette--used to use 'better' (not for me) but they are all lighter and not as durable. I've killed sram cassettes in one chain.
    HG-50 or HG-61 have always treated me well, and lasted at least a couple of chains.

Other thing that might be getting you is if you're not letting off cranking whenever you shift, especially the front. It is quite possible to rip a chain apart by shifting your front derailer with the chain under load in the granny--if you try hard enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Can you describe what is happening and what the problems are? If nothing is actually breaking then new parts probably won't solve the problem.

mtbr member
    Learn how to change gears when riding up a hill.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    ..snip..

Other thing that might be getting you is if you're not letting off cranking whenever you shift, especially the front. It is quite possible to rip a chain apart by shifting your front derailer with the chain under load in the granny--if you try hard enough.
    +1 this
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have been using a SRAM drivetrain for the past 2 years. X9 derailleurs, 1070 cassette, and X0 shifters (which are probably overkill). I haven't had any trouble yet. Have you checked if your chain is stretched? The Park chainwear indicator said mine was beyond the limit after about 550 miles.

What kind of problems are you having? Skipping gears? Broken chains? Crappy shifts?

You might want to work on your shifting technique. Try to shift down in the run-up before you start pushing up a climb. Always avoid shifting the front derailleur when you have any kind of strain on your pedals Shift one cog at a time when you're climbing.

If you get new parts, go for the highest quality you can afford, but don't get the very top end (XX, X0 or XTR) Those are mainly designed for racing, and they can cut back on strength in order to save weight. Shimano SLX/XT and SRAM X7/X9 components should hold up without problems, if they're not abused.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double