President, CEO of Earth

Deore Hubs and RhynoLite Rims

I have seen dozens of Deore/Rhynolite wheelsets for sale all over. What I am wondering about specifically is the durability of Deore hubs under a Clyde rider. These wheelseta are so common I would be surprised if there weren't a few of you who have a set.

I currently run Exage 500LX hubs on my off road touring bike and I need to overhaul those about three times per season. The bearings loosen off and I think it is possibly due to wear in either the cones or the cups, and possibly aggravated by the poor bearing seal (if you can call it a seal) FWIW, they were almost new when I built that bike.

When Exage 500LX was available, it was right below Deore LX, which would indicate a similar quality level to current Deore parts. Other Deore parts, such as derailleurs, seem to be manufactured similarily to 500LX, and I have witnessed wear about on par with what I would have expected with 500LX over time.

Can anyone comment on the duability of Deore hubs for rigorous off road use by a Clydesdale?
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Freshly Fujified

Good job! Inexpensive and functional

I have a set of XTs laced to 36 hole RhynoLites. From what I understand, other than some very minor differences, the XT and Deore hubs are austensibly the same. I've found the XT/RhynoLite combo to be just fine and I go 250. If i were you and you're looking for an inexpensive and functional wheelset, I'd give it a shot.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

I've broken one of those!
    I have run the RhynoLite/Deore set on my singlespeed for two seasons now, up until a few weeks ago rigid, and have had no issues. My max weight on them was 250# this past winter, 235 now, if that helps for reference.
    "It's not his fault that he's an adorable, unstoppable killing machine."

General Rabble-Rouser
    I ran a set of those on a hard tail learning dirt jumping for a while. They held up as well as I could expect under that type of use. They lasted a long time, but I was keeping them very well adjusted. The bearing like to develop play, but it's an easy fix with a cone wrench

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    I have a set of XTs laced to 36 hole RhynoLites. From what I understand, other than some very minor differences, the XT and Deore hubs are austensibly the same. I've found the XT/RhynoLite combo to be just fine and I go 250. If i were you and you're looking for an inexpensive and functional wheelset, I'd give it a shot.

Bob

I think the XT is set up with a better seal. I ran Rhyo-lite XL's at 345lbs (a couple of years ago before I lost to my current 285lbs) laced to XT hubs and never had to true them. I gave the bike to a buddy of mine and he has had no problems with them either and has been on them 2 years (Cannondale Super V 1000sl) That combo can also be found cheap. I think I bought mine at Jenson

bi-winning
    i (at 155lb) had a few problems with the axle shapping, sometimes in two places. lots of other reviewers had the same problem. that would be my main concern for a clyde. They do need fairly regular attention. seals are not fantastic - overhaul periodically. check the adjustment once in a while too.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

President, CEO of Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    I think the XT is set up with a better seal. I ran Rhyo-lite XL's at 345lbs (a couple of years ago before I lost to my current 285lbs) laced to XT hubs and never had to true them. I gave the bike to a buddy of mine and he has had no problems with them either and has been on them 2 years (Cannondale Super V 1000sl) That combo can also be found cheap. I think I bought mine at Jenson

I, too, believe there may be a difference between the hubs - but not just the seal.

First, tho, I should remind everyone that the Shimano MTB gruppos have road gruppo counterparts.

Alivio ---> Sora
    Deore ---> Tiagra
    Deore LX ---> 105
    XT ---> Ultegra
    XTR ---> Dura Ace

The road components are different in some ways, but similar in others - like bearing surface quality, material, and construction. And I believe an LX hub will be similar to a 105 hub in terms of durability.

In fact, I have an LX Parallax hub off my '98 GT Karakoram that I have never rebuilt (feels rough, tho, and I probably should), except for one time the freehub internals tore themselves apart. I also have a 105 hub on my 1992 Cyclops road bike that I have overhauled a few times because it didn't feel perfectly smooth (or because the freehub mech exploded). During one of these overhauls I could not find the correct cones and have been running this hub with virtually no seal (you can actually look in the non-drive side and see the bearings moving) for about ten years, and several thousand kms. But never have the bearings in either of these hubs loosened up.

Now I have old Exage 500LX, only slightly older than my 105, and I have had to rebuild it four times in the last two years because the bearings loosened up. If I had a Deore LX hub from the same period (LX being the same quality as my 105) I'm sure it would not have the same problem.

Yes there are obvious differences, like seals, axle designs, shell designs, etc, but the overall quality of a set of XT hubs is probably better that that of a Deore hub.

I am just trying to find out if this quality difference will turn the hub into a maintenance problem.

And, FWIW, I probably won't be buying any Shimano hubs in the near future. While I have been happy with bearing performance, I am gonna save up and get something with a servicable ratchet mechanism because i am tired of replacing freehub bodies.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There are two versions the Rhynolite rims; the Rhynolite and the Rhynolite XL. The XLs are the stronger, welded, of the two and probably worth looking for as a Clyde.

banned
    Yeah, those XL's are hell for stout

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Best wheels I've ever owned... period

when I bought my first real expensive mountain bike, and before the era of disc brakes, I had a set of 36h/14 straight gage/ Rhyno Lytes on LX hubs. After they got their initial truing after a few rides, the NEVER needed to be trued again. In fact, they outlasted three bikes. I finally sold them because I had switched over to disc rims. If/when ever the time comes that i need new wheels, those will be my number one choice.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    At that price point, I'm not aware of anything better than Shimano. The Shimanos work well for some. After breaking freehubs on Shimanos every half year for a while, I switched to the more expensive HopeXCs. I'll admit I didn't check the tightness of the cones on the Shimanos.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm having a pretty bad time with my XT hubs, which are basically Deore hubs made out of nicer metal. The hub on my Karate Monkey likes to loosen up every few weeks. The hub on my Heckler skips under extreme load.

That said, I'm a super-clydesdale at 300lbs, so I'm at the far end of the bell curve. Shimano hubs are a good value (even Sheldon Brown says so!), just not for people who break them all the time. Hmm.

anyone else smell that?
    i ride in a mostly dry environment, but the rhynolite 32 hole mated to deore hubs have been great for me. the wife's bike has rhynos on xt hubs. been good to us so far. but i do own cone wrenches and will be checking the hubs out this winter.

mtbr member
    agree with others, great bang for the buck!
    the bearings on 2 of 3 of mine (rear) didn't have much grease from the factory (apparently common problem with at least the deore hubs). so, it's a good thing to check that... aside from that I check the bearings and lube the freehub with my freehub buddy 1-2x/yr and they've been going strong for many years. Also, they needed a spot check on tension when I got 'em, they were true, but not much tension.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

BDB
    I bought that Deore 525/Rhyno lite wheelset from Jenson usa in 2003 or 2004 while in Japan because my stock Bontrager wheelset was too whimpy for my 230 lbs at the time. I've had this wheelset since, in fact I recently bought a new (2006) C-dale F600 and realized the stock wheels flexed too much for me so I took the Deore/Rhyno wheels off my Trek and put them on my brand new C-dale. This has been the best (for the price) wheels I've experienced! Only thing I had to do after buying was letting the dealer true the wheels before I used them. They were quite a bit out of true when shipped. Since then I've never had to true them! Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The common wisdom is to at least get them trued after you've done a few miles to stress them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good wheels for the price but they do need some care

As has been stated by others, you will need to make sure they are tensioned and true after a few rides. The rear wheel is the most likely to have problems. I have also had problems with the cassette lock ring working loose on one set. Loctite finally resolved that issue. As they wear it becomes increasingly difficult to get the cones adjusted to eliminate play. Replacing the balls can help but with lots of wear the cones wear down and will not adjust properly. The ratchet mechanism on the free hubs will also wear out quicker than on better quality hubs. This is mostly a problem if you ride in cold weather. The seals are not very good so a little bit of moisture can get into the mechanism. When this happens the pawls will not engage in truly cold weather. I thought this was a grease issue when it first happened. Eventually got fed up and replace the wheel with a new one and the problem stopped even when ridden at very cold temperatures.

The best part about the deore hub rhynolite combo is that they are cheap enough that you can get more than one set. With disk brakes, wheel changes are super easy. You can mount up different tires on each set and change to the set that best suits conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Love the Rhyno's; however, I have a set of Mammoth's tided with seven speed on my Specialized.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

LX and Rhino Lights

I've been running Rhino Lights XL for a few years and love them, so cheap it's easy to have 2 sets ready to go. Am sure there are better wheels out there but as I get older I can't justify 500 bucks for a wheelset.

mtbr member
    deore and xt same just different metal....

i have never ridden xt hubs but after a few months on deore hubs the rear lost the will to live and died a horrible gritty death,not being able to afford a rebuild or the parts i bought an xt rear hub and stripped out the guts and rebuilt the deore hub shell with xt internals.

bearings are better quality the seals actually stop 95% of the grit getting in and the freehub is a lot smoother,aswell as better looking made axle.

and im sure its still spinning around today 3 years later.

some things look the same but are built different.