Thread: Delicate wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Delicate wheels

What's the secret to keeping your wheels (mainly rear) true. I've got an `08 Stmpjumper with the DT factory wheels and really only do cross country/ trail type riding. I'm 603/220 but so what. Had past problems on an EPIC w/ Mavic 317's. Tips, tricks,etc?

29 some of the time...
    Not much you can do other than keep the tension up and on top of the maintenance. Clydes need a more robust wheel than the factory provides IMO and IME. You can get by for a while on the factory wheels, but in the end you will need something more robust. At that time you will need to rebuild on the stock hubs or buy a whole new wheelset.

For clyde-proof wheels I like the en321 (mavic), D5.1 (DT swiss), Rhynolite (sun). Add some nice butted spokes or even straight gauge 2.0mm, brass nipples, and a durable/serviceable hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Hey,

I've got the same wheels on my '08 FSR and had the same problems. Now I finally got a new wheel set (Flows/CK), hope they hold up a bit better.
    How many times have you retensioned them? I'm a bit heavier but at our weight I'm afraid we just have to deal with it when it comes to stock wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I hope you find an answer. I had a 06 Rockhopper FSR. I never could keep the rear wheel spokes tight. I couldn't even finish a 10 mile loop on a moderately difficult trail without stopping to tighten spokes. I had more experienced riders check my spokes before the ride and when I stopped. All agreed the spokes were right before the ride and too loose to continue when I stopped.

I finally replaced that rear wheel. Nothing exotic just a $100 wheel mavic rim with a shimano XT hub. Problem solved. I would check the spokes every couple of weeks but most were fine. I would need to adjust one or two but not much. Could easily have kept riding them the way they were.

Oh, I should say I was closer to 250 pounds then. I'm about 230 now. I push the bike harder now so if anything I think I'm harder on wheels now than I was then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The most important factor in wheel longevity is the quality of the build. A handbuilt wheel from an experienced builder will provide many trouble-free miles (because of the even high spoke tension, proper spoke head seating, pre-stressing the wheel, and lubing the nipples), where stock machine built wheels are a constant nightmare.

After that, beefier rims with wider tires at higher pressures hold up better for us Clydes. Personally I run DT 5.1 rims with Kenda 2.1/2.35 Nevegals at 35-40 psi. And picking smooth lines helps too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My buddy has had nothing but problems with his DT's on his 08 Stumpy. He made one heck of a taco yesterday on his front. He didn't really crash it, sorta just went off the trail. Nothing extreme. I was shocked to feel how light those wheels were when we took it off to try to bend it back. What are his choices?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Get yourself some hand-built wheels--I got the xt-rhynolite wheelset from jenson-usa and destroyed it in like 2 rides. I used those hubs with light mavic 717 rims to lace up my first wheelset, and they're holding up to my 240# better than any machine-made wheel I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Getting handbuilt wheels is a definite plus. Wheel building is a skill. If you can find a local wheel building master, they might be able to retension the wheels better than an ameteur or moderate level shop tech.

Riding style can also have an impact. I try to lighten-up before the rear wheel hits an obstacle.