mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Decisions decisions.... A little help for a noob Clyde

So I'm getting ready to buy my first bike in many years. I had pretty much decided on a Trek Cobia for a couple different reasons, then I got to thinking. Should I buy a cheaper bike and upgrade as I get deeper in the sport?
    My main concern for not doing that is the fork on the Cobia.
    I will probably do more road and light trail at first then as the weather and my work schedule improve, hit he trails a little harder.
    As for my stats, 6' 305 and losing about 4-6 pounds a week with my current routine and diet. I'm thinking the weight will go down a bit faster incorporating the riding on my days off from the gym.

Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    At our weight you need to have a good frame, fork, wheels, and brakes in my opinion. So the better components you can get here the happier you will be. Upgrading later is fine, but you dont want to spend 1500 dollars on a 200 dollar frame. Cobia has some pretty good specs at that price and you get a warranty on the frame if you break it. You will have local help from your shop if you have problems with your bike. Buy what you can afford but I wouldnt buy cheap if you dont have to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I tested the Cobia, Kona Kahuna Deluxe and Cannondale yesterday. The Kona just felt too upright. Geometry on the Cannondale just felt wrong. Liked the Cobia. My only concern is how well the frame and components will hold up to my weight (250). I'm not super aggressive but will primarily ride singletrack. If you get the Cobia, please update your thread with a review. If any other readers have suggestions on a 29er for $1200 or less that would satisfy my needs, please reply. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I picked up the Cobia earlier this week. I love it so far. A couple things I didn't like. The tires. I'll upgrade those in the next few weeks. The stock pedals suck. I have a set of Shimano M-324 on order for it. I also hated the stock grips, so I had a set of PDW Speed Metals put on before I left.
    I have taken it out twice only a couple miles each ride. So far so good other the the front brake needing adjusting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm new here as well as to the sport of cycling. I'm 6' and 285lbs, I have been looking at some different mountain bikes. I'm leaning towards a 2009 gary fisher piranha hardly used like new for $400. I like the components all sram x5, shimano hydraulic brakes, tora front fork, should make for a decent starter bike. Will be mostly used for rails to trails type riding maybe some roads. Realy will not see much mountain bike trails for the first year or so. Being a mountain bike with lower gearing should make climbing easier. Think this would be a good choice ? why or why not ? not tring to steal your post need (5) to post thankyou.