mtbr member

Decided to rebuild current bike...

After much debate on whether to get a new bike or do a build, I think I am just going to put some money into my current bike which I like well enough. I figure I can use it the rest of the year and the new parts will allow the current bike to be a back up next year when I do get a new bike with tax money or it will help the resale value if I decide to get rid of it when I get a new bike. Current bike is a 2005 Raleigh m50DX. Entry level 26er but the frame seems stout enough for now and the geometry works for me. What needs replaced:

Brakes - Avid BB7 185mm front, 160mm rear
    Fork - Rock Shox Tora 318 Solo Air 2008
    Shifters - Something Shimano, not sure what yet
    Brake levers - Cane Creek Direct Curves
    Front derailleur - ??????
    Seat post - ??????

Still need to research the other parts and any suggestions would be great. I am a 300 pound clyde and ride XC with lots of roots, rocks, and logs.

Last edited by Nubster; 06-28-2009 at 05:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you not going to keep it forever and ever i would only replace parts as they wear out, unless of course you have a really good reason ...like bars too narrow or stem too long. Nothing will improve it's value so don't sink too much money into it.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Agree with the old fool, who's no fool at all. I've upgraded cheap bikes and I would have been better off saving that money for a better bike.

I could see putting some money into a robust but inexpensive wheelset... I suspect you'll need wheels before too long, and you can always move them to a new bike down the road. A set of Rhyno Lite rims with Shimano 6 bolt disc hubs can be had for $150 or less.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Actually the stuff I want to replace really does need to be replaced. The front shifter is broken, the fork is cheap and does not hold up under my weight making things difficult on the trail, brakes are cheap and lack any kind of stopping power, brake levers are in the same boat as the brakes, and the front derailleur may just need a professional adjustment but I can not get it to work correctly. Plus if I can get decent stuff, other than the fork I can transfer all the other stuff to another bike when I go to a 29'er. I still am not 100% what to do yet. I still need to make it in to a couple more shops to see what they have to offer before making my final decision. I figure this way I'll be in about $500 but if I get a new bike which would be a 29'er I would be lucky to get away with $1000, but likely more to get the components I want.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Best bet for $500 may be a used bike.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Been looking for one. Nothing local that I can find so far and ebay, well, I hate to buy a bike unseen and shipping charges people are charging are crazy. $100+ for a 30# bike is insane. I just had a all steel very heavy duty winch bumper for my Jeep sent to me from WI and shipping was only about $50. The bumper easily weighs over a 50 pounds. Probably closer to 75.

Nothing is set in stone yet though. I guess because it is my first real bike I have a little attachment to the Raleigh but I do know that there is a lot better stuff out there. I don't know, still lots to think about. I really hate wasting my money and want to make sure I make the right for me decision whatever it is I end up doing.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I know I shipped a bike once and cost WELL over $100... but it was a very large road bike... no matter what I did to cut down the box it was still to big to ship on the cheap ...

anyway... you might consider doing ebay to get the parts that you HAVE to have to make the bike work for you... you may even consider a 1x9 (if your trails and fitness level allow)...

beyond that I'd leave it be... considering what you'd look at spending save a little harder and pick up a bikes direct 29er or find something used (if you have a local club all the better)

good luck man
    mark
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    anyway... you might consider doing ebay to get the parts that you HAVE to have to make the bike work for you... you may even consider a 1x9 (if your trails and fitness level allow)...
    I'm with Mark, Nubster. Turn your Raleigh into a 1x9 and go with an inexpensive rigid fork (suspension corrected) for now. Have the brakes properly adjusted by a pro to get the most out of the current setup (or just get Avid BB7s for the front only and set them up yourself - sure it's a bit ghetto, but who cares!?!?!). If you really need new brake levers, go with the Avid Speed Dial 7s - cheap but great. Save your money until you find just the right 29er at just the right price.

Oh, yeah... I should add another caveat along with those I included in your other thread related to your current situation:

I ride a rigid 29er and LOVE it! Solves the problem of worrying about a suspended fork that will be too squishy for us big boys.
    Last edited by dog.gone; 06-29-2009 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Damn you guys...lol...I guess you all are right. I do want to fix up the ol' girl though but I guess I can do that in time. I can still ride it right now. I think a huge reason I want to hang on to it at least for the rest of this year is because I have a child seat for the back and that way I can still ride my little one around. I know I could get a trailer but having him on the bike with me is more fun. I am looking at 29'ers again and still not sure which to go with. The ones I have looked at and tried out so far are:

Cannondale 5...did not like ($900)
    Specialized Hardrock...liked the feel but cheapo components ($600)
    Specialized Rockhopper...looked nice but I did not ride it ($1000)
    Gary Fisher Paragon...again, looked good but did not ride ($1500)
    Haro Ally XC...did not ride but plan on trying it on Wednesday. Looked nice. ($1000)

So that is it so far. I am calling around tomorrow to a couple other shops to see what they have. I am hoping that one of the Redline dealers might have a D660 in stock but I am sure that is wishful thinking. There is also a Fuji dealer so I will see if they have anything. I guess the search is back on.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    check out the fuji... and if you like it buy the windsor (near identical frame... same geo and same componets as on the '08...

fix what you NEED... keep the bike around... roll the kids around on it ... maybe one day turn it into a 69er or a SS...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie