Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Decided to buy a Bullit, any suggestions on coil springs for a 320 pounder?

Based on the advice of others in the forum and Santa Cruz reps (in addition to the sorry state of my hardtail Rockhopper) I've decided to get a Bullit, I don't mind the extra effort climbing to get a solid bike that will rock downhill.

I'll be getting the R FR complete Bullit since it is the only one in my price range at $2300 complete, the specs are below:

Fork: Domain 318 Coil
    Shock: DHX 3.0 Coil
    REAR DER SRAM X9 medium cage
    FRONT DER Shimano M805 (Saint) or M580 (LX)
    SHIFTERS SRAM X7 triggers
    CRANKSET TruVativ Hussefelt 24/36 w/ bash guard
    BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ Howitzer
    CASSETTE SRAM PG 970, 11/32
    CHAIN SRAM PC 971
    BRAKES Avid Juicy 5's w/ 203mm rotors
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 5's
    BARS Race Face Evolve DH riser
    STEM Syncros AM onepointfive stem
    GRIPS Lizard Skin Logo
    HEADSET 1.5 Cane Creek Double X
    SEAT POST Race Face Evolve DH
    SADDLE WTB Pure V Race FR
    WHEELS Mavic EX 325 rims laced to DT 340 hubs w/ DT 14 guage spokes, brass nipples
    TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.5 wire
    TUBES Kenda Freeride

I'm currently at around 320 lbs, I'm thinking I'll use a 750# coil on the DHX 3.0 since that's the stiffest spring that Fox provides which would typically be used for someone that weighs 300 lbs. I am losing weight pretty rapidly with all the riding and dieting I've been doing so I don't have a problem going a little plusher on the spring.

The issue I'm having though is that the stiffest Rock Shox springs for the Domain 318 are meant for someone that weighs more than 220 lbs. I weigh ALOT more than 220#, any ideas on how to deal with this without replacing the fork such as aftermarket coils.

I've emailed Rock Shox (SRAM) and haven't gotten any responses yet so any suggestions are appreciated.

I still haven't had a chance to test ride one because no one has one in a large. I found a place that has a frame and components in stock to build one up though if I decide to buy it, but the decision to buy will be made without actually riding one. I'm assuming that a large will fit me well, I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam. Based on Santa Cruz's sizing chart anyone from 5'10" to 6'6" should ride a large. Should I just buy it while its available there? My large (19") Rockhopper fits me well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Put bluntly, I would never buy this package for myself, and I weigh 300lbs.

1.) New coil forks don't work for Superclydes. Nobody makes springs stiff enough. PUSH doesn't work on thru-axle forks. Garageworks will recommend a freeride air fork.

2.) Santa Cruz specs 32 spoke wheels on their bikes, which is no good for Superclydes. You want 36/48 wheels, but you will probably have to settle for 36/36.

3.) At 320lbs you really want a 22 or 20 tooth granny and a 34 tooth sprocket on the cassette for those long climbs. The weight and geometry of the Bullit is bad enough for climbing already. The gearing will make it worse.

4.) Do you know the leverage ratio of the Bullit? It has 178mm of travel, but I can't find any info on shock i2i or stroke length. If Santa Cruz's estimate on your spring rate is wrong, you could be S.O.L.

5.) I've got a Heckler sitting at the LBS waiting for me to buy a fork and some wheels, but the more I learn the more irritated I get at the lack of options for big guys. It makes me want to go out and fix the problem myself.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by beanfink
    1.) New coil forks don't work for Superclydes. Nobody makes springs stiff enough. PUSH doesn't work on thru-axle forks. Garageworks will recommend a freeride air fork.
    3.) At 320lbs you really want a 22 or 20 tooth granny and a 34 tooth sprocket on the cassette for those long climbs. The weight and geometry of the Bullit is bad enough for climbing already. The gearing will make it worse.
    The need for gearing does depend on where you ride. You will need at least as low as you need on your HT bike, maybe a little lower.

A Marzocchi coil fork with air preload would work. Something like a Z1 FR. It does not have to be this year's model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Im nearly a clyde, im 200lb and chose the Bullit.2 coz of its strengths. Regardless of your dramas you are on track with the Bullit frame atleast
    Last edited by CHUNKY NUGGET; 07-30-2007 at 02:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I forgo to menton in my email to you about the gearing and the wheels as well. But, I'll second my vote on both of those. I ran the outlaws for a while with good success and now have a mavic deetracks (It's a 32 spoke So, I'm a little nervous but good so far.)

And i switch from a 32 to a 34 9 speed cassette and it made a huge difference.

Once again, I know you want a bike but don't buy a standard build. Unless you are going to weigh 200 lbs tomorrow, You are better off doing a custom build with all clyde worthy parts right off the start.

Shopping around on ebay/Used, You can get a new frame and parts for what the stock build is no problem.

Making fat cool since '71
    The ratio on the Bullit.2 is 2.8:1. 7" of travel (basically...) and a 2.5" stroke. I am 255 and run an 800# spring on a 3:1 ratio bike (with very little pre-load) to get 30% sag on a 6.8" travel bike FWIW. I just (two weeks ago) got the new 2008 DHX 5.0 and Fox stated they do *not* have 750# springs. They had 700# and 800# ones. I have both and the 700# requires me to run full preload to get 35% sag and I'm 70 pounds lighter than you and the leverage ratio is hardly any higher on my bike. Just something to think on.

My 2cents on the Domain...don't buy it. I'll second the Z1 Light (air assist). If you ride "big" (freeride/dh/etc) get the 66 or Totem. You *will* kill the Domain if you jump.

Good luck.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses, glad I didn't just buy the bike yesterday without test riding or researching it.

I emailed Santa Cruz earlier asking what they thought of my weight on this specific build haven't heard from them yet though.

I was definitely planning on swapping the the small chain ring and cassette.

So from what I gather the DHX 3.0 should work, but the Domain 318 absolutely has to go, right?

Will any of the stock Santa Cruz forks used for the Bullit do the job?

They use the following forks:
    36 Float RC2
    36 Talas RC2
    36 Vanilla RC2
    Lyrik Solo Air
    Domain 318 Coil
    Totem Coil
    Totem Solo Air
    40 RC2
    Boxxer World Cup
    Boxxer Team

I could try to get the LBS thats building it to upgrade it for me.

I'm sure that I will need to replace the wheels on any stock bike I decide to pick up.

I don't have the know-how to buy all the correct parts used/ebay and don't have the money to have a shop do a custom build.

The one company I have contacted that has said that I would be fine with their bike is Ibex with their Atlas Pro, Manitou also confirmed that their fork/shock would work for me on the Atlas Pro with its 2.5:1 leverage ratio. I just don't want to buy a relatively untested bike online sight unseen.

The other bike I've been looking at is the Enduro SL from Specialized, they actually have suspension charts that go up to 300 pounds. I will email them as well to see what they think.

After seeing some Bullits yesterday though, it's tough to go with anything else.

mtbr member
    Can anyone recommend a full suspension bike for my weight at under $3000.

At this point I just want a bike that will work. For the time being I will not do anything rough with it, I'll keep it off any drops or jumps and will stick to fire roads.

mtbr member
    Just test rode an Enduro SL Expert, I got around 30% sag at the max pressure of 295 psi on the rear shock so that looks okay although there was a significant amount of pedal bob when I was hammering it. The fork setup was great, we didn't even need to max it out to get a good amount of sag. Overall it felt very plush and responsive.

Still haven't found a Bullit to test ride.

At this point I think the Enduro will be okay based on my test ride, but the Bullit may be much better or much worse, I just can't test ride it to find out.

BTW ImaKlyde you're right they have an 800 pound coil for the DHX.

One good thing was that the salesperson at the LBS was a Clyde too at 280 lbs. he seemed to be very knowledgeable about the issues heavy riders have to deal with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think you will be fine in choosing the Bullit. Here is a link to a springrate calculator that many feel is very accurate. It says that you would need a 600lbs spring. So given the Bullits falling rate a 650 or 700 should work .

Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V5.0

As far as the fork goes either buy something like a Lyric or Totem Soloair fork, you should be fine as the general recommendation is 85% of your weight which would be under the 300lbs limit. If you want to get a coil shock then I would order a Marzocchi 66 RC2X from JensonUSA (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Rc2x+07.aspx). Marz's can be adjusted using the preload and different oil weights.

As far as wheels go, I would have a set built. Contact Larry at Mtn. High Cyclery and have him build you a set of 36 spoke wheels using Hope Pro 2s and Mavic EX 721 or Mavic EX 729 rims.

So if you think about it that is ~$1000 dollars of your budget into a really nice fork and wheels. Then you can order the frame and kit from santa cruz to finish it off. That would be very close to your budget. Or can can just order the R FR complete and buy the new fork (if you feel like you need it) and ride the current wheels until they break. But a set of hand built wheels will be the best for solution. I do not think you will come any closer to your budget than this. Also, consider what type of terrain you are riding.

The final suggestion is for you to consider a bike from Transition (http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/index.cfm). Either the Preston FR or the Dirtbag. Either one of these bikes would be under your budget and you can pay the ~$40 more for the 36 spokes wheels from them. Plus the frames are way overbuilt. If you are not very aggresive rider then the Preston FR may fit you better than the bullit or dirtbag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The air shock will not last very long being ridden at the max PSI.

mtbr member
    Yeah I don't want to have to run the shock on the Enduro at max pressure at all times. Also the fact that it's a sub 30 pound bike scares me, a Superclyde bike needs to weight at least 35 pounds.

I think I'm just going to buy the Bullit R FR with the stiffest coils for the DHX and Domain. Once I start breaking things I will replace them.

The guy at the bike shop with the Enduro was even saying that the Bullit was a good bet for me, and they were a Specialized dealer.

I've found no built large Bullits in a 100 mile radius (Funny considering I live 20 miles from Santa Cruz) So I will have to buy it without a test ride.

Hmmmm....

[QUOTE=MaddSquirrel]I think you will be fine in choosing the Bullit. Here is a link to a springrate calculator that many feel is very accurate. It says that you would need a 600lbs spring. So given the Bullits falling rate a 650 or 700 should work . [QUOTE]

...based on the O.P.'s weight and the Bullit.2's specs *that* particular calc states the O.P. needs an 850# spring (for 25% sag; 700# for 30%), not 600. 600# isn't even close to reality for a 320# dewd on a bike with a leverage ratio of 2.8:1. Falling/Rising/Linear won't come into play with sag/initial stroke set-up anyway. That's more of a mid-end stroke deal. Plus on that particular calc it figures in things like rear bias (good idea) but in truth who the heck knows *and* on a bike like the bullit.2 it's goin to be more rear bias than on say an XC bike (think "typical" riding position on a FR bike like the bullit versus on an XC bike like a Superlight). The seattube angle will factor in some as will seat tilt, bar height, etc... Anyway, a clyde will have more "rear bias" (pardon the punnnn...) and therefore that needs to be figured out as well. Making a bit of an adjustment to that calc and tweaking the numbers to represent how things will be on a FR bike witha Clyde on it that particular calc says: either 750# if it's 65% rear bias and 800# rate with a 70% rear bias. A more upright riding position (once again, think FR type bikes...the bullit.2) and you will see a lot of rear bias.

Like Squirrel says though, stay the hell away from an air shock at your weight. Even the large volume ones (think RP23) on 2:1 leverage bikes are sketchy at your weight.

The Bullit.2 will be hold up to you, but so will a Heckler and some of the Haro and Giant offerings. The Bullit.2 is not an XC bike. I'm not a fan of SantaCruz any longer (long story, has nothing to do with frame quality) but I've owned two Hecklers (the original '98 and the "new" '03 version) and even when I was 300+ I jumped/dropped/rode the crap out of the '03 and the frame never complained. Just go coil and forget the Domain. Go Lyrik if you have to have RS or look at a Z1 light.

Brock...
    Last edited by ImaKlyde; 07-30-2007 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    I am working with a Santa Cruz dealer in Santa Cruz to see if they can swap the fork on an R FR Bullit with the Lyrik or Totem Solo air.

Since Giant was brought up how does the suspension setup on a Reign X1 look?

Here are the specs.

frame ALUXX Butted aluminum, 6.75" Travel
    fork Fox 36 Vanilla R, 160mm
    shock Fox DHX 3.0 Coil
    handlebar Easton EA 50 low rise
    stem Easton Vice 31.8
    seatpost Easton EA 50 350x30.9 mm
    saddle WTB Pure V Race
    pedals N/A
    shifters SRAM X.7 Trigger
    front derailleur Shimano LX
    rear derailleur SRAM X.9
    brakes Avid Juicy 5
    levers Avid
    cassette SRAM PG950 11-34T, 9 speed
    chain Shimano HG 53
    cranks Race Face Ride DH 24 / 36/ RG
    BB Race Face X Type External
    rims WTB Dual Duty FR
    hubs Formula Disc w/20mm front
    spokes DT Competition
    tires Hutchinson Barracuda MRC 26x2.3 folding

mtbr member
    I originally wanted a Heckler but when I checked with Santa Cruz they said the Bullit would be a better option.

mtbr member
    I just looked at Transition bikes and they look very reasonably priced with great customization options.

Anyone know where to buy one? They only have one dealer listed and they are in PA.

mtbr member
    How are the Marzocchi Z1 Sport and Marzocchi Z1 RC2 ETA, they are both options at Transition for their Preston FR.

Sorry for all the posts just want to make sure I make the right choice.

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on a Kona Coiler Deluxe equipped with a Fox DHX 4.0 and Marzocchi 66 RV ETA?

Heres the full spec list:
    Frame sizes S(15"), M(17"), L(18"), XL(19"), XXL(20")
    Frame tubing Kona Clump 7005 Aluminum 6" Travel, 2007 D.O.P.E. Ready
    Rear Shock Fox DHX 4.0
    Fork Marzocchi 66 RV ETA 160mm travel w/20mm Dropouts
    Braze-on fittings 1 bottle, rear disc mount
    Headset FSA PIG
    Crankarms RaceFace Evolve DH X-Type
    Chainrings RG/36/24 (44/32/22 for Europe only)
    B/B RaceFace Evolve DH X-Type
    Pedals Jackshit Primo
    Chain Shimano CN-HG73
    Freewheel Shimano Deore LX (11-34t, 9-speed)
    F/D Shimano Deore LX
    R/D Shimano Deore XT
    Shifters Shimano Deore LX
    Handlebar RaceFace EVOLVE AM OS Riser
    Stem RaceFace EVOLVE AM OS
    Grips Kona LOG
    Brakes HAYES HFX-9 V7 w/BFL Lever
    Brake Levers HAYES HFX-9 V7 w/BFL Lever
    Front hub KK Disc 20mm
    Rear hub Shimano FH-M525 disc
    Spokes stainless DT 14g
    Tires Maxxis Advantage 26x2.4
    Rims Sun SingleTrack SL-1
    Saddle WTB Pure V RACE FR
    Seatpost RaceFace EVOLVE DH
    Seat clamp Kona QR
    Colors Brown Matt/Black

The Kona Coiler and Giant Reign are good all mountain/trailbikes. The Kona being a bit more on the beefy side, but not a ton. The Giant would be more xc-ish but not a ton if that makes any sense. Either would hold up for you. Both would be more pedaling/XC/everday riding friendly than the Bullit.2 in my never humble opinion. If you are a dh/fr guy then the Bullit could work for you, but if you are not doing that mostly then I would encourage you to stay away.

Yes the Lyric or Totem or 66 will hold up for you. The Totem and 66 are hardcore FR forks. The Lyric and Z1 are AllMountain/light FR forks.

Transition bikes are OK.

Good luck.

Brock...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Santa Cruz guys might just be trying to cover their keesters by recommending the Bullit over the Heckler. They don't know what kind of riding you do. For all they know, you're trying to jump off your roof. A Bullit would definitely be better for that. For regular old weekend bike rides with your friends, a Heckler would treat you much better.

The Full Suspension Superclyde Commandments:

1.) Thou shalt not purchase a full suspension rig with a leverage ratio higher than 2.5:1

2.) Thou shalt go coil in the rear and air or coil + air in front.

3.) Thou shalt not purchase a fork with an axle diameter less than 20mm.

4.) Thou shalt not buy a rig without gussets on the headtube.

5.) Thou shalt not purchase wheels with less than thirty six spokes each, and thou shalt not shod thy wheels in rubber less than 2.35" across, lest thou pinch flats.

6.) Thou shalt rock 8" rotors front and rear.

7.) Thou shalt purchase thy rig from a store made of bricks and mortar, not a store made of bits and bytes.

8.) Thou shalt respect thy mass and the 22-34 gear combo.

9.) Thou shalt not fragment threads hither and thither with an onslaught of discrete inquiries.

10.) Beer is the best bike lube.

mtbr member
    Based on the Superclyde commandments I need a Heckler setup with a DHX 5.0 coil, 36 spoke wheels & new rotors, Coiler w/ new wheels and rotors or a customized Preston FR. I also need to stop posting, I'll pop back in when I actually buy something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    First off I used a sag of 35% to calculate the springrate which is reasonable considering it is a FR bike. Next, I think you would be perfect for a Preston FR with a Z1 RC2 ETA fork. That is the top of line in the Z1 series and it has both coil + air or maybe go for the domain uturn. The Preston is going to be an awesome bike. Go the the Transition forum here and read all the reviews. Also, pick up the phone and call them. One of the owners will pick up the phone and answer any questions that you have and you can discuss a parts spec for your weight. I would recommend gettting the 36 spoke revolution wheelset and upgrade the brakes to the formulas or the juicy 7s. Kyle or Kevin may also give you the option to go with bigger rotors. You can purchase the bike from them directly or you can have your favorite shop order it for you.

If you want to consider more options think used and get a Turner or Ventana. I ride one (Turner) now (an RFX) and it is the best FS bike I've ever owned. It's 6+" front and rear and is fine getting ridden on singletrack all day or doing shuttle runs all day. Now that I have a coil on it it's even better than when first purchased (had 5" rockers and a dhx air on it; now 6" rockers and coil). Able to handle the heft? I've done 8' drops to harsh landings and had nothing go wrong with the frame or fork ('06 Z1 light). I've seen them used in your price range ($3k?). Just a thought. If anything I wish I had a 66 or Totem, but that's just an "upgrade-itis" thing.

I've seen used Ventana's pretty reasonable as well.

Brock...

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanfink
    The Santa Cruz guys might just be trying to cover their keesters by recommending the Bullit over the Heckler. They don't know what kind of riding you do. For all they know, you're trying to jump off your roof. A Bullit would definitely be better for that. For regular old weekend bike rides with your friends, a Heckler would treat you much better.

The Full Suspension Superclyde Commandments:

1.) Thou shalt not purchase a full suspension rig with a leverage ratio higher than 2.5:1

2.) Thou shalt go coil in the rear and air or coil + air in front.

3.) Thou shalt not purchase a fork with an axle diameter less than 20mm.

4.) Thou shalt not buy a rig without gussets on the headtube.

5.) Thou shalt not purchase wheels with less than thirty six spokes each, and thou shalt not shod thy wheels in rubber less than 2.35" across, lest thou pinch flats.

6.) Thou shalt rock 8" rotors front and rear.

7.) Thou shalt purchase thy rig from a store made of bricks and mortar, not a store made of bits and bytes.

8.) Thou shalt respect thy mass and the 22-34 gear combo.

9.) Thou shalt not fragment threads hither and thither with an onslaught of discrete inquiries.

10.) Beer is the best bike lube.
    This post needs to be a sticky.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    If you want to consider more options think used and get a Turner or Ventana.
    This is good advice. I went the used Turner route (RFX) and don't think I could've made a better choice for the money. A new model of either of those brands probably cannot be built up for less than $3000, but a used frame with new, clyde-worthy components can. Search the classifieds, ebay, etc.

A frame with a thru-axle rear would be great. I know that at 260lbs the rear of my Turner isn't as stiff as it could/should be. I would expect something similar from almost any vertical dropout frame with a QR axle. The Knolly Delirium T is available with a 135mm TA rear, but it's also $2500 just for the frame.

Able to handle the heft? I've done 8' drops to harsh landings and had nothing go wrong with the frame or fork ('06 Z1 light).
    Really? That's good to hear. I've been hesitant to take my RFX too bit in fear of breaking it and myself, but if you're going that large on yours I'm inspired to let the reigns out a little on mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast