Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

decent clydeworthy crank set? That woont break the bank?

what do you think i need a better crankset...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Depends what price range you want to be in. i have the FSA Gamma series of cranks and have punished them. They only thing that happen is a bolt came loose and lost it. Got a new one and used some loctite and 1 year later cranks are still going strong.

I got mine for $100.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...xid=52&pid=219

mtbr member
    Just get some Shimano LXs. As good as XTs but a skosh heavier.

From there you could look at Truvativ options but somebody like Jenson should have what you need in Shimano-flavor at a decent price.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Glad to Be Alive
    eff that....get the saints for under 180 at www.jensonusa.com
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Go with Race Face Atlas XC w/ BB at price point. They have a sweet deal on them. There two piece and super tough. I think they were in the low $200 range, but still a great deal. Buy these and you won't have to upgrade later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was looking at the Shimano LX 580 for $85 + the BB or the RaceFace Evolve XC X-Type for $129.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandido
    I was looking at the Shimano LX 580 for $85 + the BB or the RaceFace Evolve XC X-Type for $129.
    I've heard of people breaking the Evolve's chainring bolts. I would go with the Atlas if you want to stick with RF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I've heard of people breaking the Evolve's chainring bolts.
    Is that really an issue? Sounds to me more like people didn't inspect their bike enough. Regardless, new chainring bolts cost a couple bucks if you want to upgrade to stainless steel for durability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Eff that. The Saint/Hone stuff is bunk. There's a reason they're on blow out with the Etailers. Way too heavy for any theoretical gains in burliness.

Questions for Tsunami - what have you used in the past and where/how did it fail you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Eff that. The Saint/Hone stuff is bunk. There's a reason they're on blow out with the Etailers. Way too heavy for any theoretical gains in burliness.

Questions for Tsunami - what have you used in the past and where/how did it fail you?
    Eff that. The Hone stuff is exactly the same as the LX stuff. The Hone has a steel insert, so it might be a couple of grams heavier than the LX. Hardly heavy. Just a stealthier color.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiver me timbers
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    Eff that. The Hone stuff is exactly the same as the LX stuff. The Hone has a steel insert, so it might be a couple of grams heavier than the LX. Hardly heavy. Just a stealthier color.
    It's interesting that there are such mixed reviews on the Saint/Hone cranks. The Saints are really hyped-up to be stiff and strong, but are expensive and heavy and get some good and some bad reviews. The finish sure doesn't seem to hold up too well and maybe Shimano is improving that for next years release and why some retailers are blowing them out. The price they're going for at Jenson sure seems nice.

This pic is allegedly after one summer of riding:

The Hones seem appealing, being a kind of budget-level Saint, but burlier (and IMO better looking) than LX. There is no official review page for these cranks on mtbr (that I've found).

Patrick

Is that really an issue? Sounds to me more like people didn't inspect their bike enough. Regardless, new chainring bolts cost a couple bucks if you want to upgrade to stainless steel for durability.
    Well, it doesn't sound like that much of an issue. However, as a clyde I would want to go with something with an overall tough design. The Evolve is meant for lightweights riding XC. The Atlas is meant to take abuse, but not meant for DH. That is, fills a gap between XC and DH, and this sounds just about right for a clyde. Besides, I've been using mine for a year and a half without a single problem.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Funny, I've heard of the Deus XC chainring bolts cracking/breaking/coming loose too... HOWEVER, I have not witnessed this. I have the Deus and checked them yesterday... I was able to tighten them more pretty easily using an ordinary hex wrench... so maybe there's something to it, but maybe not. It's easy for these kinds of rumors to gain momentum when maybe it's not deserved. Bottom line = my Deus XC have been great... fyi, i'm not a clydesdale... just a flyweight cruising the boards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey PC, The Hones are literally the same crank as the LX. Exact same crank arms machining and everything. Just the paint is different and a steel pedal insert. I just found this out at my LBS a couple of weeks ago. I compared both cranks and there is no real difference. Except price. I like the paint job of the Hone over the LX.

The finish does wear quickly on the Saints, but overall, get great reviews and are a little lighter than the other cranks in the DH/FR class.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm fond of my Redline tubular cranks. I'm pretty sure they're BMX cranks, but with a removable spider. Those with a RF base ring and Truvativ rings and it's pretty bomb proof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    When my stock Truvativ Hussfelts crapped out on me, I researched cranks for a while and finally decided on the Shimano Hones, especially when I found them at Alfred E Bike for $130. So far (3 months) I am Really, Really glad I did. They are so much smoother and stiffer than the old stock cranks that it's borderline ridiculous. Not to mention it shifts like a dream and my chainsuck problem is no more.

Being a 250 lb aggresive rider, I would highly recommend them for clydes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    my crank is made of pure stone. its tough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Stone's pretty brittle compared to most metals. I'm pretty sure the first time your bike fell over on it's side, the crankarm would snap in half.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What are you talking about? Its very very dense granite, it took weeks to make. Its stronger than the earth itself.

Quote Originally Posted by dogzilla
    What are you talking about? Its very very dense granite, it took weeks to make. Its stronger than the earth itself.
    Granite is good stuff. I use it for ballast on uphills when I feel like I'm just going so fast I might fly away.

Are you gonna eat that?
    I picked up a Holzfeller crankset last year from Cambria Bike for about $130 and the thing's been completely bomb proof so far (which is more than can be said for the OEM bottom bracket which crapped out after only 1100 miles).

I'm 250 (now, not then )

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    I picked up a Holzfeller crankset last year from Cambria Bike for about $130 and the thing's been completely bomb proof so far (which is more than can be said for the OEM bottom bracket which crapped out after only 1100 miles).

I'm 250 (now, not then )
    .... Too bad the ISIS BB's are not worth a damn...

anyone else smell that?
    any inherent issues with tapered square cranksets? i'm needing a set and i've got several square bbs laying around. the deore level cranks can be had cheaply.....weak crank arms? crappy chain rings?

mtbr member
    For what its worth i just got one of the evolve x-types from pricepoint, it is super stiff and I don't see it breaking soon, the x-type BB for the xc crankset is the same one as for the all mountain set, so its no slouch, and it is amazing to me, I have ridden a RF turbine with the isis on a friends Chameleon, and it really can't compare to this new x-type. Pulling off the crankarms is super easy too, the one thing i recommend is that you buy the tool to put in the BB bearings it is the same as the one for the shimano external BB bearings so that way if you want to put it on yourself you can or take it off whenever you need to. Only negative I have experienced was some nasty chainsuck, but that may have nothing to do with the crank and more with the fact i wasn't running a front derailleur untill today and I could give a more accurate update tomorrow if you are interested. Anyways just thought I would add my input. Take from it what you will
    Willis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandido
    Where did you find the LX's for that cheap? Or is that $85 only for the arms and rings, BB extra?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast