mtbr member
    Mar 2009

DB Overdrive or GF Piranha

Looking for opinions on these two bike. DB has 29" Wheels, GF has hydraulic db and better shock. Both seem to be rated pretty good for a bigger guy. Any first hand opinions?

Thanks
    Jeff

sweet!
    I know nothing about the GF Piranha, however I've spent some saddle time on the DB Overdrive, and I think that it will be my next bike, when I return to the states. It truly is a point and shoot bike, pick a line and go, it's that easy.

Cheers
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I own a new GF Piranha and weigh 315. I beefed up the preload on the Tora, and I truly have been amazed at how well it does at my weight. I ride primarily rough singletrack, and I can't complain.

That said, I broke the chain and the rear freehub in the first month. At my weight, this hardly surprised me or the LBS, but they replaced both for free because it happened so early. Other than that, no problems--not even wheel problems.

The brakes, while not the lightest hydros in the world, do the job for us heavy guys. I never feel like I have to work to get my extreme weight stopped--even on downhills.

One other point that I can think of is the top tube length on the GF models. Ride both before you decide!!!! The GF has a very long top tube. The bike shop recommended one for me because I have a much bigger torso to leg ratio than some people have. Still, I am thinking about losing a half inch or so from the stem.

All in all, it's a great bike. I have never ridden an Overdrive, so I can't speak there, but whatever you do, ride both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have had my Piranha for 3 years now so I know they have made some upgrades such as throwing on hydros stock and such but apart from those small differences, I love my bike. I weigh 265 even more with gear and I have nothing but love for the bike. I have done some decent upgrading to it but when you get into our size you have to because the bikes aren't built with the 300 pound rider in mind. But as the previous poster said, ride both. I have found GF to fit great because I do have the longer torso, shorter leg problem.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I don't have any experience with either bike, other than a quick test ride of the DB Overdrive. However, if you're still in the market, I thought it might be worth noting that some Dick's Sporting Goods retail stores have placed the DB on clearance for $499.