mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Dangers of cheap headsets

I had my headset changed from a basic no name stock to a FSA PIG downhill this last week....me being 300 plus pounds, is it safe to say that my frame was in danger?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    meh I don't think it's that big of an issue as long as you make sure it's adjusted right...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon
    I had my headset changed from a basic no name stock to a FSA PIG downhill this last week....me being 300 plus pounds, is it safe to say that my frame was in danger?
    I'm in the same weight range and on a Slim Slow diet. I was going to put that same headset on my Zion 737 29er (haven't finished the build yet) But a guy at jensonusa.com told me the Pig is not really suited for my frame & fork (Zion rigid fork) and said to get a Cane Creek S3, even after I told him my weight. He said the Pig is really not suited for a MTB frame like mine, more so for a BMX style bike. So I got the S3. I rode with threaded headsets (no name types) before Threadless were considered the norm.(mid 90s) and never had a problem.(with steel frames though) I'm not sure, but it may have more to do with how you ride.(jumping, etc.) If you ride real aggressively, maybe you did the right thing...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The FSA pig is (afaik) designed to reduce the danger of headtube ovalization by using a longer bearing interface.
    Ovalized headtubes tend to be thwe result of singular large loads from long forks (lots of leverage) in extreme ridning conditions (big drops). Heavy riders rarely do that kind of stuff, but if you do, and your bikes other parts can take it- yeah, ovalization is a bigger danger for the bigger rider in that case.
    However, a more common danger for heavy riders is frame fatigue due to repeated moderate (but larger than normal) loads in normal riding conditions. That won't ovalize your head tube, but it WILL snap your frame. Headsets can't protect yah from that, though. Frequent frame inspection (after washing) may give you some warning, and costs nothing.
    Still, the pig is a nice headset, and should be one more part you don't have to fret the maintenence on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fungazi
    The FSA pig is (afaik) designed to reduce the danger of headtube ovalization by using a longer bearing interface.
    Ovalized headtubes tend to be thwe result of singular large loads from long forks (lots of leverage) in extreme ridning conditions (big drops). Heavy riders rarely do that kind of stuff, but if you do, and your bikes other parts can take it- yeah, ovalization is a bigger danger for the bigger rider in that case.
    However, a more common danger for heavy riders is frame fatigue due to repeated moderate (but larger than normal) loads in normal riding conditions. That won't ovalize your head tube, but it WILL snap your frame. Headsets can't protect yah from that, though. Frequent frame inspection (after washing) may give you some warning, and costs nothing.
    Still, the pig is a nice headset, and should be one more part you don't have to fret the maintenence on.
    I thought I was on the right track deciding to "overbuild" my bikes.(fatter tires etc.) Thanks for the tip!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for the great info guys....I think I will be just fine with what I have.....I plan on beating the living hell out of this 29er. The Fisher ZR9000 frame should hold up fine. The best part.....she weighs 29 pounds....not bad for a beast the has to be strong enough for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    lol.....hey I just used the words "she", "strong", and "beast" in one phrase.....lol