Clydeosaur

d440 + new stem = WooHoo!

My new stem came in yesterday and I dropped the d440 off on my lunch break. Picked it up later that evening and took it our for a test ride at the park across the street from the shop.

Very, very happy!

The stem made such a big difference. I was able to pedal the trails instead of taking coasting breaks to switch hand positions. Also the bike was much easier to handle (probably due to lack of pain).

I moved off the beginner trails and explored some of the intermediate trails (this park, quiet waters, has beginner & int. trails). It felt like the old days, well almost! I stayed off of the gnarlier stuff until I get a feel for the bike. Last night's focus was to get used the new stem and handling.

Needless to say it was the best $30 I've spent in awhile. Combined with the ergon gp1 grips the bike is pretty close to dialed in. I have an ebay speed v seat on the way but I certainly rode the redline stock seat fine last night.

I still might play around with the new origin8 OR spacebar when it's out but I don't think I "need" it at the moment.

Kudos to Jim of Jim's Bicycles in Deerfield Beach, FL. He watched me ride and picked out the stem. It's nothing special - basic origin8 threadless stem. I'll have to get the specifics. Pretty high rise and fairly short, especially compared to the stock synchros that came with the d440.

Oh, and with more comfortable riding position I really could feel the "suspension" factor of the 29er.

Yup, had the best trail ride yet! Looking forward to more.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    lots of similarities, wow.

<- Ergon GP1, Speed V, Origin 8 threadless.. good stuff.

For me, I'm getting a race face evolve stem, slightly shorter than my long Origin 8. What helped me a good bit was getting a wider bar, from the standard 640mm to my 690mm BBB FreeBar.. helped also because I got Ergon GP1 Large, which were a bit on the big side and I couldnt get my thumbs around, but this wide bar is *perfect* for them, because my brakes and shifters are flush against the Gp1 rubber and my fingers have plenty of rooms to fold under.

Hope you love it man.
    Be excellent to each other.

Clydeosaur
    I have the large gp1's and they feel right. I found with the sram shifter (no "s" since it's a 1x8 :> ) I had to move them to the left about 3/4 of an inch. Up against the brake & grip it was a tight fit for my thumb. Now it's more comfortable.

I still like thumb shifters though. The price I pay for being a clydeosaur.

And i can't believe it, I'm looking forward to getting up early and getting a ride in before work tomorrow! I mean I'm actually craving a ride. What's wrong with me? ;>