mtbr member

cyclocross options

I could use some advice. I am 290 and 6'5". I am going to buy a cylcocross this season and am considering the Kona Jake. Any feedback? I want to keep it low cost since I am still putting the emphasis on my mountain bike riding and the cyclocross is for a couple of triathlons and some riding with the family. Therefore the Zinn option seems a bit out of my reach.
    Visit Ted's Broken Bike and Refurbished Unicycle Emporium

Former Bike Wrench

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat, looking for a CX bike to build up for mixed riding, fire roads, endurance rides, and touring.

The Soma Double Cross and Surly Cross Check are at the top of my list. The Double Cross DC comes with disc tabs but the Surly can run wider tires. Geometry is almost identical to them.

There are a few larger CX bikes on bikesdirect.com but I'd want to replace everything on them so I discounted them from my build list. Take a look at the difference in geometry from frame to frame. I have a 65cm Raleigh road bike from the 80s but both the Surly and Soma match it's dimensions and are both 62cm frames. The only difference would be another 1-2" of exposed seatpost and more stem/headset spacers.

A God Without A Name
    I'm 260 but only 5'10.

But the traitor Ruben seems perfect to me.