mtbr member

Listen! Cyclocross, Clydesdales, Bikesdirect, oh my.

So I've been recently fighting with myself for the past 3 weeks about what my first bike should be.

I've pretty muched narrowed it down to a Hybrid (Specialized Bicycle Components)

or some sort of price-equivalent Cyclocross bike, downside is that any Cyclocross bike that I can find within the same price range as the Sirrus is online-distribution only, and as a first bike, not knowing how a Cyclocross would feel, I am not entirely sure if that would be a great idea.

The bikes I was looking at:
    Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

Road Bikes | Cyclocross | Cross Bicycles by Motobecane USA | Motobecane Fantom CX Cyclocross | Save up to 60% off New bikes with full warranties

Another major concern about these are I was linked to this recently:

Motobecane & BikesDirect.com, avoid.

while this is really only one man's experience (who knows how many else times it has happened) the fact remains that it has happened, and that I am also a Clydesdale (260lb), I intend on losing all of this weight, I used to be fit but damaged my foot and was unable to run/walk properly up until this year, which is why I am taking up biking now, but I digress, the lack of significant experience with any bike outside of work is what is hindering my ability to choose.

I do ride... wtf my text changed, whatever, anyways, I do ride a Fuji Nevada Mountainbike at work, about 20% of the terrain there is rough, which is why I don't want a full on road bike, because I want to use the bike that I buy at work as well.

Any help, input, or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you need me to elaborate on anything or have any questions, feel free to ask.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have bought from bikes direct and personally know two others who have as well. We are all very happy with our purchase, and I would buy from them again without hesitation. You can read many other posts on this board with the same experience. Just trying to present some balance for your decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveless View Post
    I have bought from bikes direct and personally know two others who have as well. We arr all very happy with our purchase, and I would buy from them again without hesitation. You can read many other posts on this board with the same experience. Just ping to present some balance for you decision.
    what type of bike did you get?

mtbr member
    There is a Motobecane forum on this site. I would check that out if you were interested in Bikes Direct. You'll find all sorts of people who have bought bikes there and can read about their experiences.

I have a Jamis Dragon 29er that I put Big Apple tires on whenever I use it on the roads and it's been great. It's a steel frame which is nice over rough terrain.

I do live in a very hilly area and decided to get a road bike as well. I was 250 at the time so not that far off from you. I bought a Raleigh Revinio 4.0 which is an aluminum bike with a carbon fork. It is their endurance model which means you are a little more upright than you are on a race model bike. I had no problem at all at that weight on a regular road bike.

Honestly I don't like hybrid bikes at all. If I want to be upright I'd rather use a mountain bike. If I want something lighter I like the road bike. I'm sure a cyclecross bike would do the same thing but I wouldn't limit myself to cyclecross because of your weight.

The best thing is go to your bike shop and try everything you can. You'll know pretty quickly what you like and don't like by riding.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Fantom Cross Ti with Rival. Ride in on trails, grab groceries with my trailer or my rack, and do road rides all the time. For how you describe your usage, it sounds perfect. Actually all the bikes I've seen bought were variations of their cross bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There is a Motobecane forum on this site. I would check that out if you were interested in Bikes Direct. You'll find all sorts of people who have bought bikes there and can read about their experiences.

I have a Jamis Dragon 29er that I put Big Apple tires on whenever I use it on the roads and it's been great. It's a steel frame which is nice over rough terrain.

I do live in a very hilly area and decided to get a road bike as well. I was 250 at the time so not that far off from you. I bought a Raleigh Revinio 4.0 which is an aluminum bike with a carbon fork. It is their endurance model which means you are a little more upright than you are on a race model bike. I had no problem at all at that weight on a regular road bike.

Honestly I don't like hybrid bikes at all. If I want to be upright I'd rather use a mountain bike. If I want something lighter I like the road bike. I'm sure a cyclecross bike would do the same thing but I wouldn't limit myself to cyclecross because of your weight.

The best thing is go to your bike shop and try everything you can. You'll know pretty quickly what you like and don't like by riding.
    Totally didn't even know that there was a Motobecane sub forum on here, thanks for telling me that, and I am not limiting myself to a Cyclocross because of my weight, I wanted to know if it was okay for my weight because I already wanted one in the first place, the whole Cyclocross sport is fascinating to me and I'd love to do it myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
    Totally didn't even know that there was a Motobecane sub forum on here, thanks for telling me that, and I am not limiting myself to a Cyclocross because of my weight, I wanted to know if it was okay for my weight because I already wanted one in the first place, the whole Cyclocross sport is fascinating to me and I'd love to do it myself.
    You should have no problems at all on a cyclocross bike. I haven't done it either but it looks like a great off season way to ride with the bonus being you can use the same bike for the roads. Good luck in your search
    He who dares....wins!