mtbr member

Cycling Exercise Plan?

Hi,

I love biking but I find my weight / lack of fitness holds me back a lot. I'm determined to do something about that.

At university I lifted a lot of weights so I know my way around a gym. However, I was wondering if there are any cycliing specific exercise plans out there or any good exercises to incorporate into a workout.

Squats are the most obvious but I'm really looking for help with endurance and the explosive bursts of power you need to get up short steep climbs.

One Gear
    Get on your bike every day. Endurance comes from when you train your body to output more than you ride on any given day.

Squats will help, along with developing a strong core. The fitness that you are looking for is the ability to spend prolonged periods of time at a heartrate level of 165-170bpm.

Pick up cycling fitness book. In the meantime get out and ride every day. 2 days of long riding for endurance. 2days of intervals for power. 2 days of easy spinning for rest. Mix them up during the week. Ride your bike anywhere that you can instead of driving.

If you want the weight to come off quicker, develop a health diet and cut as much beer/booze out as you can.

It took me a long time to go from 230# to 168# due to family and work obligations. If I was young and could ride anytime that I like, I could have done it in a year with the same focus and dedication.

Good luck!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks. I might start doing a couple of high inensity night rides during the week then!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Endurance at the beginning is all about cardio. Get a heart rate monitor to help you gauge your work load on extended climbs. You will learn where to keep your heart rate to allow you to grind away for an extended period of time.

You probably needed to improve your lactic acid threshold and aerobic threshold (roadie things but they really apply). Look into intervals on a spin bike in the gym (with your hrm) or look into kick ass spin classes (ideally with your hrm). Either or both will help a ton with fitness.

Lastly, weight... Dropping weight will have a dramatic effect on your climbing ability if you're over weight.

Combine any or all of the above and you'll be surprise at how the trails start to seem flatter while climbing...