mtbr member
    Sep 2006

custom dh frame for tall clyde

So looks like I am finally gonna get a custom steel DH frame for my 7 foot 260 lb self...custom was a necessity for obvious reasons. Currently have an xxl kona coilair for kinda DH lite riding but definitely trying to progress. Anybody got advice for suspension design, geometry, components, etc so I get this right the first try? Seems like my biggest issue with the kona is the short front end and having to lean forward too much to really get aggressive...

mtbr member

A Couple Selections

I was looking at a full Suspension before I decided on going with a hard tail. I am about 6'10 and a half and 280lbs. Depending on your price range check out Ventana El Capitan or Zinn Mega Bike. Give them a call, they can do a DH for your size. I think Turner can also do some custom stuff if you call them? You will not find anything off the shelf that fits you correctly. I have a custom road and mountain bike and once I got use to the larger size I cannot cram myself on another standard size again.
    Last edited by bigtymerider; 02-12-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added Content
    Live Large

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtymerider View Post
    I was looking at a full Suspension before I decided on going with a hard tail. I am about 6'10 and a half and 280lbs. Depending on your price range check out Ventana El Capitan or Zinn Mega Bike. Give them a call, they can do a DH for your size. I think Turner can also do some custom stuff if you call them? You will not find anything off the shelf that fits you correctly. I have a custom road and mountain bike and once I got use to the larger size I cannot cram myself on another standard size again.
    El Cuervo is Ventana's DH bike.

Might want to check out Brooklyn Machine Works too

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I actually do have an XXXL Ventana El Cap already as my XC bike (love it). Also a Cannondale Moto 160 mm 26er as my commuter bike (trail close to work with jumps n stuff).

Any ideas how the El Cuervo is? I know Ventana is legendary for XC and trail bikes, but wasn't sure how the DH rep is...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Zinn or Lenz cater to the plus sized crowd, they should be able to help you out.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    I actually do have an XXXL Ventana El Cap already as my XC bike (love it). Also a Cannondale Moto 160 mm 26er as my commuter bike (trail close to work with jumps n stuff).

Any ideas how the El Cuervo is? I know Ventana is legendary for XC and trail bikes, but wasn't sure how the DH rep is...
    I thought they were popular because of their DH bike, i didnt even know they had XC bikes until you posted.