mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Crankset upgrade for a masher

Long story short, on my old hardtail I killed several ISIS bottom brackets and eventually thrashed the splines on my crank. Upgraded to a SLX Hollowtech crankset with external bearings and all was good again.

Now, I have a GF Rumblefish and after less than about 400mi, my crank is creaking to the point I can feel it through my feet. Replaced the press-in bottom bracket with an aftermarket Enduro version but creaks are still there (have new pedals, too), so I have isolated the noise to the splined interface on the crankset (non-drive side). Apparently my 215lb masher riding style is a bit hard on cranksets...any recommendations for a crankset upgrade from the stock Shimano M542? I'll probably try the SLX simply because I had good results on the hardtail. Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

turtles make me hot
    I weigh 255 pounds and went through a couple of Shimano bottom brackets. I switched to a Chris King BB and I run 180 mm Shimano XT crankarms. No problems with durability any more.
    I like turtles

29 some of the time...
    Shimano LX, SLX, or XT with external bearing BB. I have been riding them since around 2005 with no issue whatsoever. I usually need to swap bearings sometime about 1 season in. At that point I upgrade to Enduro brand replacements at about $15 and they are good for 1-2 more seasons. If you are a masher odds are you will go through chainrings faster than BB bearings though.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Underskilled
    +1 on SLX.

If you go for the double and bash you will get good quality steel chainrings.

I used to ride boutique strong Al chainrings, steel is SO far ahead for a powerful rider I will never go back. 40 every few months for a Al ring, 8 for a steel ring that is good for 18month so far.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    try DH stuff. I have race face diablous cranks and BB. they will clean out your wallet.

Fat guy on a bike
    Raceface Evolve DH! weighs as much as an anchor but sold as a rock. Running mine on a rigid niner.

native.
    Mar 2010
    I have Shimano Saint cranks and BB on my cross bike, worth every bit of coin!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If your ISIS cranks are still good, you could try to source one the SKF BXC-600 ISIS bottom brackets. They are supposed to be pretty bombproof and the best ISIS bottom brackets made.

Evolve DH cranks have been bomber for both my son and I on our Giant Reigns, but as Mordy says, they do incur a weight penalty.