Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Crankset questions

946 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Floggus 
#1 ·
I am a 250# clyde looking at upgrading the drivetrain of my '06 Rockhopper Comp Disc. So far everything except the chain is Shimano XT. I am looking for any suggestions on cranksets, I am leaning towards the XT as well, but am wondering if there are any other crankset I should be looking at. In my rare moments of freetime I ride XC with my bike mostly serving as a commuter. Thanks to all who reply.

#3 ·
Like you, I am a big lad, currently at 240lb. I have just decided to get a heavier and more sturdy crankset for my new Nicolai Helius FR. Prior, I owned a Yeti 575 which had an XT chainset which I used for XC and trail riding here in Wales, UK.

My riding is however becoming more and more extreme (for me anyway), hence the new full suspension frame from 5.75 to 6.6 inches. The crankset I am putting on my new rig is the Shimano Saint crankset run as a double ring. My reasoning for this is at my weight doing jumps and drops will place more force on the crankset, the saint has reinforced bottom brackets, crank arms and pedal inserts, just the ticket for the larger gentlemen like us.

After all of my rambling it all comes down to what type of riding you do. If you only plan on XC and commuting, then the XT or even LX are suitable and will give you years of faithful service. If you are planning to do drops or jumps or harder XC, then perhaps a stronger or more robust chainset may be the ticket. Shimano Saint get great reviews (this is why I am getting them) or even check out the Raceface Atlas or the Truvativ offerings, I am sure others may have some suggestions.

#4 ·
I own a Hone triple and a Saint triple. I used to have the Saints on my Heckler, but I replaced them with the Hones.

Why? I see my Heckler as my XC/Trail bike. I don't do drops or jumps on it, so I'm trying to put it on a diet (see my blog for details).

Someday I might get a bigger bike, like a Bullit, and the Saints will go on that one.

I got Hones instead of XT because they're cheaper, and not much heavier. They're a lot like LX, only with a steel pedal interface like the Saints.

I'm a fair bit heavier than you, which also discouraged me from getting XT (let alone XTR).

#5 ·
I weigh about 280 and toasted the Truvativ Stylos that came stock on my Heckler in a couple of months. I replaced them with Saint and have ridden them pretty hard for a while now with no issues. They seem to be a good option at a reasonable price if you can put up with the weight. I didn't notice a difference except my cranks stopped creaking and coming loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.