mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Crankset question

I own a Kona Hoss and ride all kinds of terrain. I'm 6'0, 275lbs, the bike works great for me but I'm wondering about a new crank. Would it make sense to put a Saint 3 on my bike? I don't race, I like a good pace but more than anything I like something STURDY.

Thanks

Your bike is incorrigible
    No experience with the Saint, but I have lots of experience with RF Atlas X-type cranks. Best investment I've made.

Whatever you do, just please get something that's X-type, please, please, please!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks... just wondering what X-type is sorry for the dumb question just a newbie.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyRider
    Thanks... just wondering what X-type is sorry for the dumb question just a newbie.
    "X" is short for "external". The bearings are located outside the bottom bracket shell. That just means that the bearings are larger and longer lasting. But the side benefit is that the crank itself is stiffer. The interesting thing about the x-types is that they seem to hold together much better than ISIS. I had an ISIS set up that kept coming loose every thirty minutes, even after squirting red loctite all over them. I finally managed to crank the end bolts down hard enough and used enough loctite that they stayed put for a few weeks. In the end, they still managed to work loose. But this has never happened with my x-type crankset.

mtbr member
    I've been as heavy as 330lbs and am 315 now and have ridden this crankset for 1.5 years with no problem. It has a 22T and a 32T then a bash guard. I have the diablos model

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't have any problems with the current crank except that it's kinda mushy... thanks for the responses if there are any more please don't hesitate.