mtbr member

Crankset for my 6'6" friend.

I have a friend that has just been bitten by the trail bug. He and I have been riding almost every weekend for the past month here on the local Oklahoma City trails. He is currently on an XL (22") Trek frame 26er. He took his bike to a local shop where he was told he would feel much better with an XL crankset. As I understand it is the length of the crank arm that is the only difference, is that the case? Also, have any of you taller riders had good or bad experiences with longer cranks? I would like to be able to tell him what is good and what to steer away from. Thanks for the help!
    Celebrate a good ride by enjoying a great cigar! ..... Just not at the same time.

@adelorenzo
    What is feeling "not good" about his current bike? How are longer cranks going to fix the problem? That is what I'd want to know.

I'm 6'6" and run 180 or longer cranks on my mountain bikes. I love 'em, I feel like I get more leverage in the pedal stroke and also get a longer 'platform' when standing with level pedals.

I'm 100% sold but there is a lot of debate either way about the benefits, do a search for long cranks and read up a little bit.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Let's start with this: Does your friend mind paying $240 or more for a crankset that is less than 1/4" longer than a standard crankset (of which he could get a worthy set for as little as $89)?

If he doesn't mind, then continue on to discuss the value & merits doing so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cigar_fiend
    I have a friend that has just been bitten by the trail bug. He and I have been riding almost every weekend for the past month here on the local Oklahoma City trails. He is currently on an XL (22") Trek frame 26er. He took his bike to a local shop where he was told he would feel much better with an XL crankset. As I understand it is the length of the crank arm that is the only difference, is that the case? Also, have any of you taller riders had good or bad experiences with longer cranks? I would like to be able to tell him what is good and what to steer away from. Thanks for the help!
    As a former road rider, who made the switch from 170 to 175 and noted an immediate difference, I would suggest that changing to a larger crank would be a good option, but like others have said, it can be cost prohibitive. I would suggest keeping it in mind as an option when or if you would need to replace the crank for other reasons. Long story short, I'm looking for a set of 180's myself and will try picking a set off of eBay.