mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Crankset and headset question

Hello...

I am a beginner xc rider who weighs 240 and is 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I recently transfered all my components from a 20.5" Trek 4500Disc to a 19" Kona King Kikapu FS frame with Marz comp 105mm fork and 26" wheels. I am wanting to upgrade my crankset at this time since they are 170mm and I feel they are too short.

For the info I have given, should I be riding a 175mm or 180mm crankset? I am looking into the Truvativ Stylo's but dont not know what model and BB will fit? Also, Should I be looking at 44/36/24 or 44/32/22?

I also need to order a Cane Creek headset. I see a variety of different models and don't know what will fit.

Can someone please help. Thanks...

local trails rider
    I like Shimano cranks. Even the nicely priced ones seem to work well. I think there's still LX mtb cranks/BBs (Hollowtech2) around for pretty good prices, or you could try the newer SLX. I think crank length is not all that critical, as long as you don't use cranks that are TOO long.

I think 44/32/22 is pretty standard, unless you want only two rings.

Headsets... I usually go to the LBS and they ask me if I want the cheap one or the one that is better shielded against the elements...

Former Bike Wrench
    The Stylo's are a good crankset, and they should come with the GXP bottom bracket. You'll want the 3.3 if your looking for a triple chainring setup.

You need a standard threadless 1 1/8" S series headset from Cane Creek. The S-3 represents a great deal and they get better from there.

SS XC Junkie
    I just did an S-3 on my SS 29er. It was nicely priced and it seems to work well. I like the sealed bearings too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I like Shimano cranks. Even the nicely priced ones seem to work well. I think there's still LX mtb cranks/BBs (Hollowtech2) around for pretty good prices, or you could try the newer SLX. I think crank length is not all that critical, as long as you don't use cranks that are TOO long.

I think 44/32/22 is pretty standard, unless you want only two rings.

Headsets... I usually go to the LBS and they ask me if I want the cheap one or the one that is better shielded against the elements...
    Also forgot to mention that the bike is an 8 speed with Acera front derailleur and Deore rear... Would these cranks be compatible because I just read the SLX's are compatable with SRAMS and LX and above drivetrains.

Should I just scrap the derailleurs, chain, cassette, shifters and upgrade to a 9 speed or can I just uprade to a crankset that is compatible with what I got and then later on be compatible with a 9 speed upgrade?
    What are some components I should be looking into?
    Last edited by medik13; 02-01-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...i'd go with an SLX crankset... i hear good things about it... and chainreactioncycles.com has em for $99 in your choice of double or triple ring (on the double if you replace the bash with a light weight one it's close to the weight of LX... also comes with a BB for that price...

everything i've read says the 8spd will run fine with a 9spd crank so no worries there

for headset... get an inexpensive sealed HS idealy...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

local trails rider
    If you are putting on new chainrings, you shoul really put on a new chain too... and a new cassette would not be a bad idea either (unless everything is practically unused). A worn chain on new sprockets will wear out the new stuff faster. That works the other way too.

If you go from 8 to 9 speed, you need new shifters. Derailers should work OK.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Whats the advantage of going to a 2X9 system? What would I have to upgrade to do it? Remember I have 8 spd components that I slowly want to phase into 9 spd.

local trails rider
    2x9 (or 2x8) is good if you want a bashring that is not HUGE, or if you just don't need/want the higher gears of a 42 or 44 tooth chainring.

You either get a crankset with 2 rings and bashring, or remove the big ring and replace it with a bashring of suitable size.

In addition to that, you set your front derailer limits so that it does not try to shift into the big ring that is not there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    OK... ordered the SLX 3 ring crankset. YOur saying if I just change my cassette, chain, and shifters I will have a 9 spd??? If thats the case will be looking at the SRAM x9 shifters...Good choice???

Also read the the SLX will only work with LX and better derailleurs or SRAM. Problem is, I have ACera Fronts and DEore rears. Is this going to be a problem too?

Thanks Donalson for telling me where to get the best deal on SLX cranks!!!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    with a new chain, cassette, crank and shifters you'd have a 9spd system... the deraillers don't care or matter as long as you are using a 9spd shifter... you'll have to use ones meant for shimano RD... both sram and shimano have ones that'll work.

acera is low end but will work just fine... but if you're worried about it you can find a higher end model for about $20... there's not much difference other then weight when it comes to a FD
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie