mtbr member
    Jul 2004

crankset/bb suggestions?

I've got Shimano 950 series (XTR) crankset and bottom bracket. I am having a hard time finding a replacement bottom bracket.

So, let me hear suggestions:
    either a vendor that sells the 952BB,
    or, a cranckset BB/combo to replace?

Bike is a Craftworks FRM 125 and I'm getting a bit older an slower - I don't bet more than 3 feet off the ground anymore.... I'm a small clyde at about 235 lbs w/gear.

In advance, thanks.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    jenson used to have the shimano lx cranks for 99 or 85. great price and solid crank. how much do you want to spend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    jenson used to have the shimano lx cranks for 99 or 85. great price and solid crank. how much do you want to spend?
    Spending isn't the whole issue. The XTR lasted nearly 10 years w/minimal maintenance. Willing to spend a bit to minimize problems later... But, like everyone - I like a good deal.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have been using the Chris King (Shimano Compatible) bottom bracket for two years. Never had an issue. I re-grease the bearings about every six months depending on how nasty the conditions the bike has been exposed. Re-greasing the bearings takes 30 seconds for each cup if you use their tool. I highly recommend their BB.

For the cranks, I have used SLX, XT and XTR. My recommendation is to find XTR on sale - it seems to have the highest quality chain rings and the shifting is pure butter. You will thank yourself for spending the extra bucks once you ride the XTRs.

turtles make me hot
    I second the Chris King bottm bracket. Been using one for a couple of years now after wasting two Shimano bb's in less than a yeear. Buy the tool with it.
    I like turtles