Gonna get better at this
    Apr 2004

CRANKS: Stylo Carbon vs. RaceFace Atlas vs. XT/XTR vs. other?

6'2", 220 lbs, building a Turner Five Spot for All Mountain riding, some jumping

Which cranks? (22 - 32 - 44)

Truvative Stylo Carbon with GXP external bearings. Truvative lists the Stylo as AM, Weight with rings and BB = 815 Grams. GXP and Stylo require each other.

RaceFace Atlas (appears that two external bearing sets are available: AM and DH, 15 gram difference). The Atlas Team rings are 22 - 34 - 46, but I think the 36 middle ring might be too much ... way outta shape at the moment. The external bearings are compatible with Shimano. Weight with rings, BB (AM), 175 = 955 Grams.

XT or XTR: because they are there.

Other suggestions?

I want the best, in this order: (1) function (2) durability (3) weight. If the equipment is too expensive to buy right away, I will wait an additional month to buy it.

Thanks for your time,
    Dan

mtbr member
    TTT
    im looking for recomendations on a crankset that is clyde worthy also...
    and just to throw an additional twist, id like to go Single Speed, if that has any bearing on choices.

long standing member
    I'm not going to be much help (as usual ), but I have a couple of cents to put in anyway. Let me preface by saying that I don't have experience with any of these models of cranks. I guess that makes me an internet expert.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_tango
    6'2", 220 lbs, building a Turner Five Spot for All Mountain riding, some jumping

Which cranks? (22 - 32 - 44)

Truvative Stylo Carbon with GXP external bearings. Truvative lists the Stylo as AM, Weight with rings and BB = 815 Grams. GXP and Stylo require each other.
    As a clyde, I'd personally be a little nervous about using Carbon cranks. I've read one too many posts about broken carbon parts (bars and seatposts, mostly). I'm curious to see if any clydes with first-hand experience with carbon cranks chime in.

Just FYI, the Stylo spec sheet from Truvativ states:

"The Stylo is designed for advanced XC and light All-Moutain use. It is not intended to be used on downhill or jump bikes."

The manufacturer may be being conservative here, but I would consider this when thinking about your intended use of the crankset. The Stylo sure looks nice, though.

Patrick

Edit: I just realized that this thread is a week old.

Gonna get better at this
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for your observation, Patrick ...

Yeah, the thread's a week old, but I still need answers.

After reading reviews in a couple of places, I am narrowing the list down to the Stylo Carbon.

I might take another look at XT. Anyone have thoughts on the XTR?

Anyone else have concerns about Clydesdales and carbon components?

Sumo-Clydedale
    I certainly haven't been riding mountain bikes as long as a lot on this forum. However, I have used carbon fiber parts in race cars which exert far more forces than anyone could generate on a bike. I really wonder about all these stories about broke carbon fiber parts. Some of the stories do not make sense to me for the following reasons. If a carbon part failed, it would be do to:

1. Inferior manufacturing processes (read cheap). I doubt that may be the case in that product liability would come into play.

2. Forces were exerted in excess of design parameters. People designing bike parts are using all the modern design processes with CAD etc. I would be surprised if they didnít run a hybrid of structural design tests to insure components meet a given specification.

3. Forces were exerted in way the item was not designed. If you break a seat post or handle bar in an accident the force exposed to the components can be very different (and probably far in excess then original design specs) then what the components experience in normal riding.

I use Easton Monkey Lite bars. Love them. If I break them, I think I will have larger problems then worrying about broken bars.

I would contact the crank company directly and speak with someone about your size and weight in relationship to how their product was designed. The company will be able to tell you if you will exceed their design specifications.

My .02.

Mtbr member
    May 2004

Another choice- FSA Team Issue Cranks

I weight 220lb and I have been riding on FSA Team Issue cranks for over two years now. Last Sunday, after several stream crossings, the bottom bracket finally gave out. Other than that, the crank set is great. BTW, I use the Platinum Pro Ti BB. Not bad for two years under my fat arse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dan_tango have you looked at the hone crankset they are 927g with the x-type bottom bracket. they are supposedly for trail riding and freeriding. They seem like they would be great for clydes like ourselves.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm using Race Face Diabolous cranks on my Titus and strongly recommend them.