mtbr member

could use an answer and support

Stopped riding about 15 years ago, Job, kids and basically life ( lets not forget laziness), got in the way. But so did about 60 lb and 15 years, But its time to live again. I am 260 and 47 years old. Live in NYC, but have access to get to some great trails. My question is looking at the scott 29 comp hard tail and wondering if it would be a good buy for my circumstance. Any reply before noon on saturday may 11th would be great, going to see bike at that time.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Excellent bike to start out with and upgrade as you get back into it. 29er ht is an awesome riding platform

mtbr member

could use an answer and support

Sorry, late reply. Let us know how it goes. Biking will help you tons in dropping weight. Good luck

Bill

mtbr member
    Any comments on the Specialized stump jumper FSR comp to start with? Did not love the Scott. thanks

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The Spec would be a better-than-good bike to start back with. I would encourage a look at the Spec Camber Comp as well. The Camber is a great bike for a clyde and since you are about 50 under me, it would be great for you too. And yes, I bought a 2013 Camber Comp after cross shopping MANY bikes including the FSR, Epic, Trek Rumblefish, Trek Superfly 100, etc...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have been riding a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 for a little over a year. It should be more than enough bike to get back into riding. I'm down to 261 pounds, and haven't had any problems with the frame or suspension on the Stumpy. The Camber sounds like a good option too. Full suspension bikes are a bit heavier. Mine is a little over 30 pounds now. If you're mostly riding for fitness, and not bombing the kind of terrain that requires full suspension, you might want to stick with a lighter hardtail, maybe the Stumpjumper or Carve.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Picked up the Stumpjumper FSR comp and its been great As I indicated before, I also want to get an HT, any thoughts on the Raven Focus expert? Someone has one for sale on the site, and they are close to me.

Parts listed as:

Bone stock except for tires which have been replaced with Serac XC 2.1's.

- XT triple crankset, front and rear derailleurs and shifters.
    - Avid Elixir R brakes.
    - Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheelset with 9mm quick release front and rear (front hub can be converted to a 15mm thru-axel by removing the 9mm adapters.)
    - Rock Shox Reba SL RL 100mm fork with tapered steerer tube and remote lockout. Fork can be converted to 80mm if so desired.

Thanks for all the feedback.

mtbr member
    You mean the Focus Raven? That's a German brand that you don't usually see in the US. Based on the parts it sounds like a pure XC bike which may not be what you want riding in the very rocky and rooty Northeast.
    He who dares....wins!