mtbr member
    Mar 2012

mtbr member

... and if we just ... I wouldn't

Im new to the mtb world and to the form but i have been doing alot of research BD sells fairly decent bikes in the under 1000 range but for 2 grand i would definitely go with a big name brand bike IMHOP if im gonna spend that kind of money i would get a brand that i trust, but im a newbie i do have a buddy that has the model before i believe he has had it for a little over a year with no real issues and he rides it to work around 15 miles total 4 times a week. I would be affraid to ride it that far but it works. So if you can go for it good luck

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Just a note

I too am a Clydesdale rider at 284 down from 291. Try looking into the BAMF brand bikes i have heard good and bad reviews mostly goodthe bad is for some reason always the same the rear gear shifter is damaged but thats it i am also looking in redline bikes.

mtbr member
    That's a pretty nice bike. The only weak spot on that bike would be the wheels, but they would probably hold up if you aren't hucking the thing. I have bought 3 BD bikes and assembled 5 for friends. They have all been real nice.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    One of the main advantages of titanium is generally the 'ride quality' associated with it. It can be much more lively and compliant to an average size rider. Put one of us 'bigs' on there and it could be downright springy.

BD has such good prices that if you didn't like it or broke it, you could move those parts over to a different frame and still have good value. The wheelset would be the other thing I would keep an eye on. The rest of it should be fine for you. If you're not really that aggressive, then it should all be fine.

mtbr member
    That's a lovely looking bike. I agree with everyone who mentioned the wheels. That's the trouble spot for clydes (and athenas) but with someone skilled at truing wheels they should do well. I have an inexpensive set of 36 spoke Alex rims on my commuter bike and they have survived utter torture and nearly 40 pounds extra in assorted gear and groceries. Luckily the lbs did a great job of building them and truing them as needed. You should look into finding a repair shop with a good reputation for fixing wheels.

Otherwise, that titanium bike is a great deal.

mtbr member
    Every Ti bike I've ever ridden was really, really flexy. And I don't say that lightly (other than the old "looks flexy" joke). I mean flexy as in the BB area moved visibly when pedaling hard. It was never an issue I couldn't get used to, just those bikes didn't really like to be hammered while standing on the pedals.

The flip side of that is that Ti has such a high yeild strength, you'd probably have a hard time permanently bending or breaking it, which in one sense makes it a good clyde choice. If you can live with the flex.

Like others have said, wheels are a question. I'd probably de-tension the wheels and true/tension them again before riding it - essentially rebuilding the wheels by hand. If it were me, I'd save the $400 and get the X9 version (probably saving the money for some new wheels when the time comes), but maybe you are really into XTR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Depending on how often and your style of riding, you'll probably blow the hubs out pretty fast. That, or bend a rim. I personally don't feel there's a XC set of wheels that work for a 300+ guy.

mtbr member
    ok i just rode my first cannondale it is a 29er 3r trail sl it is used and the guy is selling it for 500.00 it has new 29er 2.2 inch wide tires and a set of rims are with disk brakes and some other parts as well in the sale i gave the guy some money to hold it until tomorrow because i wanted to do some checking on price and if it will hold me without breaking i am now down to 278 lbs with the help f my wife and kids and the vitamin b12 shots from my Dr. i really want this bike but i want to hear from the mtbr family you guys are and have been great P.S. i know the owner of the bike it was not and has not been posted anywhere for sale so my money is safe lol let me know what you guys think thanks family

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by wild5ive View Post
    ok i just rode my first cannondale it is a 29er 3r trail sl it is used and the guy is selling it for 500.00 it has new 29er 2.2 inch wide tires and a set of rims are with disk brakes and some other parts as well in the sale i gave the guy some money to hold it until tomorrow because i wanted to do some checking on price and if it will hold me without breaking i am now down to 278 lbs with the help f my wife and kids and the vitamin b12 shots from my Dr. i really want this bike but i want to hear from the mtbr family you guys are and have been great P.S. i know the owner of the bike it was not and has not been posted anywhere for sale so my money is safe lol let me know what you guys think thanks family
    holy sh!t man, i get it with not capitalizing...but punctuation, please!

you aint that fat, go for it. the bike will be fine. but as has been said, wheels are the weak spot. im guessing (because its really hard to interpret) that he has a spare set of wheels as well? go for it. 500 is a good way to go and cannondales are decent frames.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have in writing from Fuji that all of their alloy bikes are rated for 400 pounds, and if you check the Cannondale manaul you'll find that most of the mountain bikes are rated for 300 pounds plus some gear. Cannondale's CAAD10 frame is rated for 285, and their CAADX is rated for 300. Their touring bikes (ones that have rack mounts are rated for 330/350.

TheGrooveking

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wild5ive, did you get this used Cannondale or end up going to an LBS? If you went used, what have you potentially upgraded or switched out at this point?

mtbr member
    ok im back with an update. i went with ths cannondale, it is an amazing ride. i have done no upgrades to it, the guy was real cool about selling ot he also gave me an extra set of wheels, with tires i thoght that was cool he also gave me back a few dollars because he said ot would need a tune up. i took it to a bike shop that was not so local because the ones here in P.G. county suck not all but the ones i called. the guy at the bike shop was real nice, he checked it over with me right there he expained alot of component repair to me, after he was done with the check out he said it needed nothing, i was read to pay but he said it was free so i just gave him a tip. (i am sorry about the punctuation i am on my sg2 it got wet and it is a pain some letters work when the want. i did not hink it was that serious its not like im writing a paper for a grade bit i understand.) pics soon
    How can you judge me, and you don't even know me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wild5ive View Post
    ok im back with an update. i went with ths cannondale, it is an amazing ride. i have done no upgrades to it, the guy was real cool about selling ot he also gave me an extra set of wheels, with tires i thoght that was cool he also gave me back a few dollars because he said ot would need a tune up. i took it to a bike shop that was not so local because the ones here in P.G. county suck not all but the ones i called. the guy at the bike shop was real nice, he checked it over with me right there he expained alot of component repair to me, after he was done with the check out he said it needed nothing, i was read to pay but he said it was free so i just gave him a tip. (i am sorry about the punctuation i am on my sg2 it got wet and it is a pain some letters work when the want. i did not hink it was that serious its not like im writing a paper for a grade bit i understand.) pics soon
    Congrats!

Cannondale makes a nice bike. I'm 275lbs and ride a Cannondale Trail 7 (26") with zero issues.