mtbr member

Cool weather stuff.

Well, it's not that cool/cold yet, but I need to start looking at what I might need to get for my commute to work. I have a nice little waterproof jacket that I can use, it prob wont provide much in the way of warmth. Could I get something like this and use leg warmers under it? Same goes for my jacket wearing a wicking shirt and arm wamers? I'm in Austin, so it doesn't get really cold here.

PS: No tights for me..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Have you ridden thru an Austin "winter" yet? Because really, how cold could it possibly get for you to do your riding in? I've ridden in some pretty cold weather up here in Canada, and have been pretty good with my usual bike shorts bottoms (lycra w/baggy bike shorts over top) with weather above the freezing temps just fine. I usually wear a wicking top and cycling jacket on top. I find I'm cold when I leave, but quickly heat up as I start pedaling. When it's cold out, I step out of the house and decide if I'm comfortable or not. If I'm comfortable I'm wearing too much For me personally it is more about keeping my core body temp up...my legs stay warm with the workout.

Honestly it's up to you tho, if you think you'll like those pants, then go for them mate. I don't think that I would be comfortable in a pair of pants like that, but then again, I've never rode thru an entire winter up here (something about snow on the ground precludes great riding). Good luck tho mate!

Tim

mtbr member
    Well, I get off work at 12am, so i've driven home in ice stroms here before. To me 20f weather is cold. I had no problem hitting the trails at 32f in shorts and long sleeves, but doing that 4 days a week on my ride to work will get old. I just wanna keep warm.

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...I'm hailing from near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I've got some great advice for you as I've made it through many a winter commute up here (though generally, I try to avoid doing it in weather colder than -20C as it plays havoc with my air suspension).

Layers are really good. A good wicking layer is a must (if you're wearing bike shorts, do not put it under the shorts). From there, build up the layers you need to meet the temperature with a windproof layer on top. For my colder rides, I will often have the wicking layer, a light layer (short sleeved T shirt and breathable track pants), a heavier layer (heavier long sleved shirt, sweat pants and a hoodie) followed by a windproof layer.

Of course up here, mitts, foot covers, a head covering under the helmet, ear muffs and something to protect the face may also be added.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me