thin blue line

Component upgrade

Hello all,

I am currently riding a 2010 Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er. With the exception of the handlebars, stem, saddle, and tubeless tires, I'm running stock and feel as though it is time to start upgrading components. Aside from the rear hub constantly loosening, I have no complaints, but I know better is out there. I'd ask this question in either the 29er or Fisher forums, but I feel more at home with you fellas being that until recently I was 6'05" 225lbs. I'm still running 6'05", but after an ample dose of crossfit and eating "healthy" - though I call it poorly - am down to 190lbs. My request of you gents is to provide me with what you feel are the upgrades I should be looking to procure. So that you don't have to attempt to locate it yourselves, here are the specs on the stock HiFi:

Front Suspension

Fox F100 RL 29, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown, E2 steerer, open bath damper

Rear Shock

Fox Float RP2, air pressure, 110mm travel, 2-position Pro Pedal, external rebound, 7.25" x 1.75"

Wheels

Bontrager Alloy, Shimano M525SL hubs, Bontrager Duster 29 rims, 32h, tubeless ready

Shifters

SRAM X.7

Front Derailleur

Shimano SLX Direct Mount

Rear Derailleur

SRAM X.9

Cassette

Sram PG970 11-34 9spd

Pedals

Custom Crank Bros Candy C w/cleats

Headset

FSA 57 Orbits, E2 1-1/8"-1-1/2", semi-integrated, cartridge bearings

Brakeset

Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic disc, 185mm front/ 185mm rear rotor

In particular, I would like to go stronger on the wheels as I find I keep having to true them up. In addition, a general upgrade to the currenty loud and harsh drivetrain would be beneficial.

Any assistance you all could provide would be greatly appreciated. And if you feel this request would be better served on a different forum please let me know.

Thanks.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. G.Orwell

mtbr member
    WHEELS...you will feel the most improvement. Do you have a budget in mind?
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    The best bang for your buck is the wheels!!

mtbr member
    I would go for wheels, then brakes. After that, if you still feel the need to upgrade, I would go for drivetrain (crankset, cassette, derailleurs, shifters).
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

thin blue line
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Not really, but nor do I have the money put together at this time to just start buying all manner of products. Everything will have to come with time and judging by the responses I got - wheels will be the first upgrade. Which now leads me to ask those of you who did respond which are best? I live in the Austin, TX area and pretty much every trail I prefer is predominantly rock strewn. I find great joy in just bowling through rock gardens and going whatever drops I can find so a set of wheels with great strength are probably mandatory.

Thanks again for the assistance.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. G.Orwell

thin blue line
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Not really, but nor do I have the money put together at this time to just start buying all manner of products. Everything will have to come with time and judging by the responses I got - wheels will be the first upgrade. Which now leads me to ask those of you who did respond which are best? I live in the Austin, TX area and pretty much every trail I prefer is predominantly rock strewn. I find great joy in just bowling through rock gardens and going off whatever drops I can find so a set of wheels with great strength are probably mandatory.

Thanks again for the assistance.

mtbr member
    I got the "tested and proven" Flows with CK hub. 220 lb on rigid with plenty of air time. I haven't had problem with them, so I think Flows will work fine for you.

I got mine from Larry at Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels, he gave me the best price on Flow with CK hub (under $700 with 36h).

As for hubs, Chris King, Hadleys, and Hope are known to be clyde friendly. You can get Hope hubs with Flows for around $350 including shipping from 250lb geared, hardtail, hardpack single track - need wheels, which is pretty hard to beat.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Mojo MadDuc
    I have been using Stan's Flows with CK hubs here in Austin for the last 2 years. If built right, you will not have any issues. I am 250 with gear and I ride City Park, BCGB, PB, LGT, St Ed's and have been on most other trails using this set up. If you can find Matt from Hammerhead, he is the one of the best wheel builders I have ever dealt with. You might find him on Bike Mojo, his handle is "Matt Likes Bikes". If you cant find him, BSS North can do a really fine job as well and they stand behind thier work. There are plenty of Clydes running this set up or something similar in Austin. I hope this helps.

MD916
    MadDuc916
    2011 Voodoo Canzo 29'er