Thread: Commuter Clyde

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Commuter Clyde

I'm 6'2", 330+, and I've got a 3mi. (each way) commute. If I were still living in Florida or New Orleans (flatland), I could do that with no hands on a single speed beach cruiser. I'm living in New England, and there are some "San Francisco" big hills between here and there and back again, combined with craptastic New England roads. (I once saw a pot-hole eat a city bus. It was even making "om-nom-nom" noises.)

I'm thinking steel frame hybrid, hard-tail, fixed fork, with 29" wheels, and I'm thinking "cheap, but not that cheap", so I'm thinking Kona Smoke, and updgrade the parts as need and budget allow.

Is this sound reasoning? Any alternatives I'm overlooking in the same price bracket? What's the first thing I should look at upgrading, to make the commute more comfortable and the bike more robust?

local trails rider
    The Smoke 2-9 looks like a sensible bike for riding in town.

I would't upgrade anything: just ride until something stops working right and then replace that part.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    a commuter isn't going to see the pounding a mtb sees... that kona looks fine... upgrades are personal... but biggest thing would be things like saddle and bars... shifty bits are low grade... but should be fine for a while

sorry haven't looked in the price bracket in the past... but i'm off to a new job... i'll look around when I get home tonight...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie