mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Coming outta the Clyde cabinet

Hi,

I am new to this bike business and need some advice folks.

I am getting an import from a german manufacture called CUBE, and the two bikes I am deciding between are the

LTD COMP DISC
    http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/..._id_31071_.htm

or

LTD COMP PRO
    http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/..._id_31070_.htm

I am around 130KG or 280lbs, and am concerned about the shocks, and need to know what would be better for me, either the

Rock Shox Tora SL Solo Air 100mm, PopLoc
    Rock Shox Tora SL Coil 100mm, PopLoc

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    haha I love how well the web page "translates" always seems to be a problem with German web pages... haha guess i should have learned the language while I lived there.

the tora seems to be a good fork for us big guys... i'm a touch fatter then you @ 14 stone and run a solo air on my 29er... the fork is said to be pretty stiff vs the lighter weight offering of rockshox and when you're our weight the extra weight of the fork is well worth the stiffness...

for the coil model a few people have talked about them, a quick search should show you what you're looking for.... problem with coil only forks is you typically can't get springs stiff enough for people our weight... on the air forks you just pump it up till you've got proper sag and roll away....

side note... the hayes strokers aren't known to be that amazing of a brake... you may want to look at not having to import... I hear rave reviews about HOPE (heck i'm using their hubs)... also might want to peek at on-one bikes... a steel frame is a nice thing for guys our size...

good luck on your search and welcome to the club
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Making fat cool since '71
    If it has to be one of those two forks the air (due to proper set-up headaches as donalson noted). The Tora is a decent middle of the road fork. Not bad, not great, but OK.

The Strokers are powerful enough to take care of you on an any bike with a Tora up front. You won't be doing any hardcore DH or free-ride with it so you will have sufficient XC power. The modulation isn't anywhere near what Hayes advertised. Hope makes some good brakes. Set-up can be tricky if you are not experienced with such things (easy to bleed though). If you are changing brakes (and you didn't ask about this, but here goes...), then check out the new Avid Elixr CR, freakin' lovely and super duper easy to set-up/maintain. Formula's brakes are sexy and excellent but a bit pricey.

Welcome! Enjoy the ride.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

fatter then me?

Donalson, at 14 stone ur like a flyweight, unless it was a typo and u meant 24 stone.

This is my first foray into the MTB world for donkeys years. When I was like 14, I had a BMX, and then a moved to a 'drop handle', and five years after that I have a cheap MTB for like 2 years before it got stolen.

15 years on, and lots of pounds heavier, I have decided to cycle into work, and perhaps some leisure cycling at the weekends with the kids.

I aint confident nuff to start making huge changes, but god willing, in a few months I may wanna change forks, or brakes, or perhaps even build a bike from scratch.

However for now, I will be sticking to a prebuilt bike, and it will be one of the two mentioned above, and its looking like the one with the air forks :P

Air 2 Coil 0, is the current score :P

PS Whats a 29er? Is that refering to 29inch wheels, and a road bike, or a MTB, or perhaps even a hybrid. (I did look at a Trek FX7.5, but went for a MTB instead)

Making fat cool since '71
    29'rs are mtb with big wheels.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    haha i suck... i'm 22 stone ;-)... must have been a typo ... ya thats it... or could be that i was trying to be kewl using some obsolete brit weight measurement system haha

29er is a 700c wheel with fatty MTB tires... but they also will take cyclocross or road 700c tires for road riding

on-one is a UK based company which is why i recomended them... http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/

but whatever you get... enjoy riding
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Nobbly and Slick

Both bikes come with "Schwalbe VR: Nobby Nic Triple Compound 2.25/HR: Racing Ralph TC 2.25" , so I thought I would spend a month on them getting used to riding again, and then buy a pair of slicks for road riding to work?

The reason I am sticking to a low end spec bike, is cause I can only spend around 1k, and that has to include clothes, lights, helmet, spares etc. Its a goverment scheme where the company helps me pay for the bike.

I had a look at the on-one site, but being a noobie when it comes to bikes, it was easier to go into a bike shop and get some advice from some chaps. I tried 4 different shops, and decided on the cube.

I had started on a hybrid, then moved to a GT avalanche, but for the same price approx, the cube was a higher spec.

TK