Let's roll.

Coils for Clydes

I am about to become a proud 05 Sixpack owner. It has a PUSHed Coil shock on the rear. But I'm wondering: is it possible to switch out the coil for a longer or lighter or tougher coil? Or are they all the same size? I know other materials are available (titanium, for instance), but are there other coil sizes that can better fit a guy of my size (6'2, 280)? Or are there other options?

Just curious. Thanks.

Former Bike Wrench

Idea! Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    I am about to become a proud 05 Sixpack owner. It has a PUSHed Coil shock on the rear. But I'm wondering: is it possible to switch out the coil for a longer or lighter or tougher coil? Or are they all the same size? I know other materials are available (titanium, for instance), but are there other coil sizes that can better fit a guy of my size (6'2, 280)? Or are there other options?

Just curious. Thanks.
    -The bike was designed for specific shock eye-to-eye and travel measurement. You should stay with the same length coil as it has, but you can go to a higher spring rate and/or a lighter titanium spring. Since you mentioned that the shock is PUSHed, then it was tuned to the previous riders weight and riding style. If you are significantly heavier than the previous owner, you may want to have it PUSHed again for your weight and riding style. The main advantage of a titanium coil is weight...not sure that at 280lbs that saving ~200 grams (at about $200 cost) is really worth your while.

Let's roll.

Higher spring rate?

Where would one look for a coil with a higher spring rate? And...is there any rule to thumb for this? You know, a coil with a spring rate of X is good for a rider weighing Y, while a coil with a spring rate of Y is good for a rider weighing Z.

Wow. Not sure how much sense that made. Oh well.

it tied the room together
    Where would one look for a coil with a higher spring rate? And...is there any rule to thumb for this? You know, a coil with a spring rate of X is good for a rider weighing Y, while a coil with a spring rate of Y is good for a rider weighing Z.

If I'm not mistaken, the spring weight is usually determined by rider weight on a specific frame and it is used to set proper sag (how much of the shock is compressed when just sitting on the bike, not moving). Different rules for each different frame design, Check with Push or Fox and see what spring they recommend. You may want to find your closet Turner dealer and start a relationship with them and have them hook you up as well. Enjoy!

long standing member

I'll be honest, you may have a bit of a problem getting that suspension to work well for you. I've got a 2002 RFX with both 5" and 6" rocker plates and I was told by Turner that I probably wouldn't be able to run the 6" rockers due to the high 3:1 suspension leverage ratio and resulting high spring rate needed. For a rough appoximation of the needed spring rate multiply bodyweight times the leverage ratio. 280 x 3 = 840. As far as I know no one makes a spring that big for the required shock size (7.5" eye to eye length x 2" shock stroke).

I'm 270lbs and I'm using a 750lb coil with the 5" rockers...and even though that seems sprung a little high, I do get the proper amount of sag. That was the biggest spring available from Fox. I also sent the Fox Vanilla RC to Push to get the factory race system tuning. The Push tunings are custom to your bodyweight and riding style, so even though your shock was serviced previously it may not be setup properly for you.

Your best bet is to call both Turner and Push to get their input. Good luck.

Let's roll.

Thanks

That's exactly the information I needed to hear.

As far as the correct suspension for my weight...well, it seems that it's the lesser of all evils in that regard. I've tested VPP, Maestro, GT's iDrive, etc., and the four-bar style seems to be the most straightforward and easy to customize. That's partly why I wanted a Turner in the first place; I can switch out the rockers to reduce leverage until I lose enough weight to go back to 3:1.

Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    That's exactly the information I needed to hear.

As far as the correct suspension for my weight...well, it seems that it's the lesser of all evils in that regard. I've tested VPP, Maestro, GT's iDrive, etc., and the four-bar style seems to be the most straightforward and easy to customize. That's partly why I wanted a Turner in the first place; I can switch out the rockers to reduce leverage until I lose enough weight to go back to 3:1.

Thanks for the advice.
    I had a heck or a time actually finding harder coil springs (other than mega expensive titanium versions). I finally found a 750 pound/inch spring on eBay.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Double-metric mtb man
    I`ve actually had Fox tell me to go to an air shock (DHX) because they do not offer big rate springs in their entire lineup. If I`m looking at something like a 6.6 or Nomad, they suggested it may be the better way for me to go.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Former Bike Wrench
    This is a little off the subject, but its a funny Fox Shox and Clydes story

A few years back I was a warranty manager for a large Trek/Fisher/Klein/Lemond dealer. I had a rather large customer (275lbs) who had broken his Klein hardtail. He decided he wanted a full suspension (but it had to be a Klein) so we worked a "upgrade" deal with Trek and got him a new Klein Palomino (Maverick design). The Fox made rear shock was a coil with air assist design that was to max out at 90 psi. Well, after I built up the bike, I put 90 psi in the shock and found that it had 50% sag under my 230lbs arse. No way was it going to work for my 275lbs customer.

So first I call Fox and get one of their service guys who spends the next 10 minutes arguing with me over the fact that he says its a air only shock (I had the manual right in front of me showing it as a coil and air assist shock) and that I could pump it up to 300psi. So I hang up on that moron and call again and get another Fox service guy who is aware that its a coil/air shock. But he says that 90psi is the max and that my customer is just too large. I tell him that I would even be too large at 230lbs and that Fox should have a stiffer spring available. He says he Fox doesn't (this is part of the "wonderful" Fox service I have "enjoyed" over the years) and were just SOL.

So since the Maverick design must use a Fox shock (and PUSH was not around at the time) I'm at a loss to what I need to do. But I figure Maverick wouldn't limit their bikes to sub 200lbs so in desperation, I call them. Sure enough, Maverick actually makes a replacement spring for $20. So we get that ordered up and installed and wha la!!! The Palomino is set to go.

Anyways, I thought you Clydes would enjoy that little story

bored ex-shop rat
    I am +300 clyde and I am using a 950lbs spring with a FOX Vanilla RC shock on my
    Banshee Chaparral, the bike ist set up as a all mountain rig, it's much harder to find
    super extra hard springs for my MZ fork or other forks as well, few manufacturers build very
    nice fat cool forks, they are perfect for clydes but they don't make proper springs

Let's roll.

950?

Where did you find it? I haven't seen anything over 750.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

bored ex-shop rat
    this was the biggest that the banshee and FOX distributor had in stock (3 years ago) , thats simple
    Last edited by velopax; 06-15-2007 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Check out these two for shock spring calculation.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm

http://www.mojo.co.uk/index1.htm

Enjoy!!

Members who have read this thread: 0