mtbr member

Coil Pike question, please help

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a the Pike u-turn 426, but I'm looking for some input on coils. I weigh 220, plus gear, so around 230. I ride mostly rocky/rooty single track with drops between 2' - 5'. I ride pretty hard and do my descents fast. Should I get the extra firm coils, or go with the firms?

Your bike is incorrigible
    X-firm, not firm. I'm five pounds heavier than you, and I wish they made XX-firm. With one X you'll get about half the range on your compression--the lighter end will be completely useless unless you like fork dive.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guyechka, I'm going with the x-f's. How complicated is the install on the new springs?

Are you gonna eat that?
    Is the same true for the 454?

Go with extra firm coils? I'm even heavier than you guys (250) and want to upgrade to the 454 for durability, my Pilot is about to give up the ghost, but I'll want to spring it correctly.

Edit: Actually, do you have the dimensions on the springs? length, inside, outside and spring rate? I'm wondering if you can use aftermarket springs from elsewhere.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    Is the same true for the 454?

Go with extra firm coils? I'm even heavier than you guys (250) and want to upgrade to the 454 for durability, my Pilot is about to give up the ghost, but I'll want to spring it correctly.

Edit: Actually, do you have the dimensions on the springs? length, inside, outside and spring rate? I'm wondering if you can use aftermarket springs from elsewhere.
    I'm sorry, Hardway, I should have said that I have the '05 Race version, but I believe they are the same spring weight. Let me put it this way: I have swapped springs on two forks (Manitou Black and Pike Race). I couldn't tell you which stock spring was the lighter, but they were both really soft. The literature they come with doesn't help very much, either. But after switching to the x-firm on the Manitou, I figured I would do the same for the Pike. Turns out I was right. I think RockShox must make their spring rates in very small increments, because the x-firm seems like it's about 50% firmer than the stock medium weight. It's still soft (ok, let's say "plush"), but it doesn't seem scarily soft. It dives through half of its travel, but it becomes firm for the last 2.5 inches. You can firm up the first half of the travel somewhat with the compression damping.

Spring changes on the Pike are easy, but I would recommend getting a socket to help with removal (I think it's a 21mm socket but check the literature to make sure).
    1. Put a pan under the left leg, because there is a little oil in there that will come out when you take the thing apart.
    2. Unscrew the little allen head that controls the U-turn, but be carefull of the ball bearings. There are three ball bearings with springs that sit in the U-turn mechanism, and they are completely loose once you take that cap off.
    3. Unscrew the U-turn assembly itself (this is where I think it's a 21mm socket. I used a pair of pliers, but they kind of ate up the edges of assembly).
    4. Go down to the bottom of the leg and unscrew the bolt that holds the spring in place--BUT ONLY UNSCREW IT HALF-WAY!
    5. Tap on the bolt with a hammer to pop the spring loose.
    6. Now remove the bolt entirely and pull the spring out.
    7. Swap springs and do everything in reverse.

If you've placed a pan down there to catch the oil, then you can reuse that oil. Just pour it back in after you've tightened the bolt at the bottom of the leg down really tight.

mtbr member
    cool, that doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for your help on this fork thing Guyechka, you've been a big help.