mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Coil over or Air shock?

If I keep my full suspension what is the best shock for a heavy rider? Air or coil?

Former Bike Wrench
    The leverage ratio on a full suspension is the bigger concern for a Clyde than which type of shock. You should look for designs that have a leverage ratio closer to 2:1 than 3:1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interesting. Never thought about that. Would you think I would be better off keeping my hardtail instead.

Former Bike Wrench
    I don't even know what your full suspension is, so I can't really make any judgments at this point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorider
    Interesting. Never thought about that. Would you think I would be better off keeping my hardtail instead.
    Not really, you just have to pay attention to the suspension you fit a bit more.

Coil shocks can cope with higher rider weights better, but it doesn't become terribly important until the rider is north of 250lbs, higher on especially low leverage frames.

As a general rule, avoid complication. Multi mode shocks (like the one on a Scott Genius) never seem to cope as well with big guys as more normal coil or air units.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a VooDoo Ogun with a 5th Element shock and I am definately north of 250lbs. I amhaving a hard time finding a stronger spring for it too.

mtbr member
    What weight spring are you using now?

Nukeproof do springs up to 800lbs, I can't think of any brands that go higher than that.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I'm running a Manitou Metel R coil on my Dakar XLT, with a 550-lb spring; got it originally with a 650, but it was too stiff.

I'm 6'1", 240, BTW.

One thing I always will say to a fellow Clyde -- don't mess with XC rides, go heavier-duty trail, or even AM, bikes. The reliability will blow you away! My XLT is a daily rider for all purposes -- grocery runs, bill-paying, fun and family rides, as well as commuting anywhere from 2-9 miles one way -- and I've had it for 4 years. Still rides like new. Sure, I've replaced about half the parts, but the frame is rock-solid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Ogun is a freeride. The spring on it is a 450x2.0. I am finding springs but not in a 2.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just spoke with cambria bikes and looks like I may be outta luck.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Theoretically, coil springs would be nice for heavier riders, but as mtnbiker72 mentioned, the leverage ratio of the bike is important. If you're riding a bike with a 3:1 ratio, it can be difficult to impossible to find a coil spring that is strong enough to support your weight without preloading it to the point that the shock works like dookie.

The one bike I had with a coil shock (Fox Vanilla) had a 3:1 ratio (on a single pivot design) and the strongest spring Fox made would get me to about 40% sag. I swapped it out to a Manitou Swinger 4-Way Air and life was good as I could easily get 25% sag and stay within the max recommended air pressure. And the bike rode much better/plusher.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Gotcha thanks for the info