mtbr member

Clydesdales: how many miles do you get out of a set of pedals?

i understand a better set should last longer, but also wondering about how much longer.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I cant answer this yet. But currently have 100 miles on my Raceface Atlas pedals and they still feel like new. Im hoping to double or triple that number this riding season.

mtbr member
    My Shimano XT SPD pedals have over 2000 miles and are still going strong.

mtbr member
    I have a set of pedals that are 18yrs old still going and another that are 6 years old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    I have a set of pedals that are 18yrs old still going and another that are 6 years old.
    That's really good. What kind of pedals are those? What type of riding?

no motor, no way
    XT spd pedals are over ten years old and have perhaps 8,000 miles on them.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

mtbr member
    Have always used SPD pedals...they don't die, easy to get, reasonably priced and work great. Ride New England singletrack (lots of rocks and pedal strikes). The aluminum body gets ground down over time but bearings and clips are really tough. I've never had one 'fail'...they just get so freakin ugly I eventually change them out after a couple of years.Clydesdales: how many miles do you get out of a set of pedals?-hecklercrank.jpg
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Agree with the other posts. I have yet to kill a pair of Shimano XT SPD pedals. I have a set with well over 5k miles and I have never even opened them up to lube them, much less rebuild them.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Shimano SPD pedals: I get years and years, 5K miles plus. (have used 520's, XT, XTR). Cleats last me 2-3 years.

Crank Bros.: Lucky to get a year out of them. I broke 3 spindles in one summer on their Candy and Mallet models. Plus, their cleats wear down very quickly in rocky terrain where you may have to walk. I weigh 240 dressed on the bike FWIW.

Shimano only for me!

mtbr member
    Anyone have a preferred flat pedal?

mtbr member
    Due to the load us Clydes put on bearings... I find mine start to moan after 4-5 months o_0

I've been meaning to get around to servicing all my pedals, XT Race Spd, Race Face flats & another set of flats...

Maybe this month, I'll get around to giving internals a clean, grease & tighten ^^

PS - I did use to own a set of HT flats that were bomb proof. Never creaked or moaned & could take a beating ;-)

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    On my Marlin, the bike I ride my daily miles on I have been using Shimano PD-MX80 for about 6yrs now. They are still going strong.

Last year I won a pair of Canfield Brothers Crampon pedals here on MTBR for my trail bike. Too soon to give any type of comparison.

Both the sets of pedals are flats with the pins sticking out. I'm wondering if you should be asking "How long does your shoes last with flat pedals?" lol
    TREK 2012 Marlin
    TREK 2013 Superfly Comp - Carbon

mtbr member
    Another vote for shimano. I think I've busted the spindle of just about every other brand out there. Likewise on my road bikes look have been bomb proof except I bust the tabs off the cleat. Saint flats are cheap and last a long time.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

turtles make me hot
    I never gave it any thought until I just read this thread... I used to break Crank Bros Mallets fairly regularly until they improved them a few years ago. I'm four years on the pair currently on my fat bike and the pair on my Krampus has been on two other bikes. Not even sure how old they are.
    I like turtles

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I have multiple sets of Shimano M520 pedals across various bikes and a couple spare sets. Whenever a set starts to feel crunchy or "clicks" during rotation, I pull them and clean / grease the bearings. Have sets that are over a decade old by doing this. They work great.

Years ago I ran Eggbeaters. I broke a half dozen of them in one season... that was the end of it for me, went back to Shimano.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I really like my race face atlas. Also have a pair of Shimano saints that I have put on my wifeís rig.

I put on a pair of race face Chesterís on my fat bike. Not sure I like them as much as the above two pedals though, but I also ride that bike with a pair of snow hikers, so the shoes could be to blame
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    I ran these for thousands of miles. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have:

* Issi MTB pedals on my road bike (only pedals that have the high Q factor that my fitter recommended). 3,500 miles.

* Crank Brothers Double Shots on my fat bike. 1,000 miles.

* Cheap $15 Giant throwaway plastic flats on my mountain bike because my skills aren't good enough to clip in with the awesome clipless that came with. 500 miles, though not tough terrain.

No problems with any of them. 6'0", 240-270# in putting in all those miles. Wonder what I'm doing right?

For me, the wheels on the road bike are the thing. Even riding 38mm road tires, I'm still always having to take the rear into the shop to get it tweaked or to fix broken spokes.
    1980 Trek 614
    1980 Ritchey Everest custom MTB, serial #27
    2015 Trek Boone 5
    2015 Felt DD30 fatbike
    2016 S-Works Enduro

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    XTR and XT, use em on road and mtn bikes for many, many years.
    The energizer bunny of pedals. Thousands and thousands of happy, care free road and mtn miles.
    Even have couple sets of old 959's on mtn tandem that are still going strong since 2002. Many miles on them too.

RF Chester flats when needed for special situations. Been fine so far, but fairly low miles on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I have only riden flats on my MTB. I have been using a set of deity decoy's for at least 4 years and probably close to 5000 miles total on them. and they are good some bent pins, some good chunks out of them from rocks and one bent axle (from a bad wreck in whistler, part of why they got retired). they have been great pedals, never had an issue. the grip was good but sometimes on rough stuff you could feel a little unsettled (that's also just part of being on flats).

I am currently running a set of Deity Tmac's and they are GREAT! the grip from the pins are good but the concaveness of the pedal is really what makes this pedal hold on yo your foot. this makes it so you can change your foot placement easier than other flat pedals I have only about 800 miles on them currently but I would definitely buy them again.

I would definitely recommend deity pedals to anyone, granted your shins/ calf's will have a few more stories to tell but just remember chicks dig scars!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I use Shimano PD-MX80 Saint pedals. Cast aluminum, big platform, replaceable pins. They've been bulletproof for three years so far.
    Alan M
    Tullahoma, TN

2015 Focus Raven
    2016 Trek FX 7.4
    1896 Bellis