Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clydesdales 350 and over, whats working for you in a bike?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  StringWarrior 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a bike or that will hold up, looking for something 21 or above in gears. I'm 400lbs and riding both a trike and Giant Boulder SE 02' model but the frame is a little small and looking to upgrade. I been riding about a month and a half, about 3~10 miles 4 times a week. I have a lot of pain after about 3 miles from the fit and the wife wants longer distance and we are wanting to do some trails soon. I'd like to see what choices are out there right now.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Hi,

I´m a clyde from Finland and looking to pick up cycling again.

Which one of these two are more suitable for me, Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er (2014) or TREK X-caliber 9 (2015)? I'm 6'4 and 380lbs. The Rockhopper would be used (from a local craigslist) and the X-caliber would be new from the LBS.

Any comments?

#6 ·
I am 6'4" 359. Started at 409. Bought a new bike (Trek Fuel EX 8) and loving it. I am dropping about 30lbs a month due to gastric bypass that I had, and am taking it easy on the bike till i hit about 320.

I was going to buy used, but the warranty really is what swayed me. Take cash into the LBS. Cash talks with bikes.

#7 ·
I was 330 last year when I bought a new rockhopper comp. it's a nice bike BUT... I had to have the wheels trued once a month. The biggest issue is the fork, it's good for maybe a 180 lb rider. Completely useless for a Clyde.

I bought a Surly Krampus and knew I made the right choice. I ride fairly aggressively and it's taken all I've thrown at it. I've had it for 9 months and haven't needed the wheels trued once.
Good luck fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Which rims and tires are you riding, 29+ Rabbit Holes and 27 tip Knards? Air pressure?

I was 330 last year when I bought a new rockhopper comp. it's a nice bike BUT... I had to have the wheels trued once a month. The biggest issue is the fork, it's good for maybe a 180 lb rider. Completely useless for a Clyde.

I bought a Surly Krampus and knew I made the right choice. I ride fairly aggressively and it's taken all I've thrown at it. I've had it for 9 months and haven't needed the wheels trued once.
Good luck fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G
#10 ·
Shocks and Stock wheels may give you fits. Most lower cost shocks won't hold up so the rigid fork is always a good option. With proper tire pressure one of the 26+ 29+ would give you some float. Also, look for a set of heavy duty wheels (like 36 spoke/14 gauge). I might look for a Surly ECR or Krampus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.