mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Clydesdale and XC light weight incompatible?

I posted this in the GT forum but nobody's responded. I have a friend who made an impulse buy of a 2007 GT Zaskar Expert hardtail. At 270 lbs, he's firmly clydesdale, but he's looking to ride a lot more now that he has a capable bike. I was wondering if this frame, which is described as a super lightweight XC race frame, is durable enough. He's not a jumper. The bike itself is almost all LX, Rock Shox Recon 351 air, WTB Dual Duty rims on LX hubs. I know GT's of old were pretty stout and gusseted all over the place. Not so sure about the new frames. Thanks.

Former Bike Wrench
    I would never confuse a GT Zaskar as a super lightweight XC race frame. GT has always valued (regardless of ownership) durability over weight. Is the Zaskar light...yes, but not anywhere near the sub 3lbs of the "super lightweight" frames. He is way more likely to destroy the wheelset well before any frame damage is done.The spec's otherwise look pretty durable, it just really comes down to riding style. I know 150 pounders who break everything where as I'm 230 lbs, and ride all mountain on standard stuff and almost never break anything. But I know how to ride "light" so I can get away with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, thanks for the reply. He's definitely more of a conservative rider. So he's not going to huck the bike. I never thought of any GT as a super lightweight bike. But that's what Performance lists it as in their description. I know it's ad copy, but super lightweight is a pretty strong term. I'd never, say, buy a wheelset that's described as super lightweight. And I'm just below the minimum clyd definition.