Thread: Clydesdale feet

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Clydesdale feet

Excuse me, but I am only 5 foot 7 but have EEEEE feet. I really have Clydesdale feet, they look like horse hooves. I buy EEE running or hiking shoes one and a half sizes too big but I always blow out the sides. The cost of MB shoes is exorbitant anyway so I won't spend that kind of money on something that won't fit right and won't last. The wide running shoes rub on the crank, or are part way off the pedal. Any suggestions on alternative shoes that would grip the pedal fairly well and be wide instead of MB shoes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Clydesdale feet

Many shoe brands are getting into Mtb industry. I even see keen now. I have wide feet. Normal shoes are new balance. But keens might go wide. I wear bontrager Mtb shoes.
    Crank brothers makes non cleat pedal too

mtbr member
    Skate shoes and a good set of platform pedals maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    I wear Vans usually when riding. I had some Vans skate shoes, but they ended up somewhere, I can't remember but they're gone now. I wear my checkered slip on Vans when riding and love them. I plan on eventually getting some cleats and SPD petals to use, but every pair of MTB shoes I've tried on squish my feet something horrible, no way I could ride 10-15 miles in them if my feet go numb in 5 minutes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Platform pedal's for sure but I got road rash all over m ankles from bouncing off the pedals. I ride a rigid front and rear 1940 CWC with cruiser tires. I just got a 29er with a rigid rear so it will probably be less of that, but my first ride will be tonight with our club.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    New Balance is the widest I have found and that is what I presently wear, but they are only EEE, the sides are blown out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like the skate shoe idea, they are probably made to stay on a surface and might be good for me with platforms. Wish I could try cleats. I had a pair of leather or kangaroo cycling shoes in the 70s and they would stretch pretty well but the new shoes don't give. They also weren't that expensive. There is a skateboard shop here in town. All the bike shops have narrow shoes. All the local running shoes are also only narrow. Thanks

mtbr member
    Yeah, skate shoes seem to have stickier and stiffer soles. With good platforms you'll get really good grip. It won't be like clipless but should be good enough since there doesn't seem to be much option otherwise unless you're willing to spend hundreds on a pair of custom clipless mountain bike shoes. Bont is one company that makes custom shoes...they are $500 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I used an old pair of indoor soccer shoes for tonights 12 mile group ride. This was my first ride on my Trek Excalibur 7. I am going to have a hard time riding my clunker off road again. I have no fatigue or pain and I only slipped off the pedals once. I went way faster and ran down some steep rock that I used to walk down on my clunker. These shoes are too narrow and my little toes are barking, but the price was right. I still have to try my Vans when I retrieve them from my deer camp. Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    whut up room..... just wanted to throw my 2 cents at this topic ....I currently use shimano mo88 clipless size 52 (us 16) . I not a big fan of the roadie look , nothing against them just not my style ..... I really like five ten shoes .....so I decided to call five ten today to see if they where offer anything bigger , to my surprise to guy on the phone flat out said no! so I proceeded to tell him that the clyde class is going by the masses, didn't seem to matter one bit so I guess my question is am I alone on this issue . I see specialized is now making platform & clipless shoes but will they make any for clydes? im feeling a bit disgruntle towards the major vendors in this sport , how can this sport make a collective push to main stream when you don't included everyone ? I mean hard to find shorts jerseys,gloves,shoes you name it . so again I ask am I alone on this issue? how can clydes get the attention of some the big vendors who have products that we all like but cant get in our sizes. for example I love tld stuff but cant get anything over a xl maybe 2xl. im realatively new to posting so there may be a related post ,please excuse me if there is
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The more extreme sports seem to have small sizes. I only have 5E feet, the rest of me is small (five foot seven and 155 pounds). But even for me the sizes are weird. I bought a pair of protective padded snowboard shorts for winter riding and had to buy a large (32 waist). I don't wear anything large. My club jersey is a large and this is not the racing fit but the club fit and it is a large. Large guys must be really in a pickle. On the other hand, when I go to one of the national sporting goods stores to buy hunting cloths I can't find anything smaller than large and most of the time I can only find extra large. My deer hunting, bird hunting and duck hunting cloths are mostly vintage from thrift stores purchased over the years as they made them smaller back then. They have a lot of duct tape and sho goo on them. My son is six foot one and has real long arm and legs. Pants aren't a problem but tops are a challenge for him. Patagonia was the only brand that made long enough sleeves for him. I don't know if they still do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am in the same boat, trying to find a show that is wide. I am growing tired of my runners constantly slipping on the pedals.